Nov 20 2012

Dancing is a form of expression, so what expression was that?

After seeing the Barnard Project dance performance I was very confused. I didn’t realize that workout warm-ups and rolling on the floor was considered dance.  And what was going on with the girl putting tape on the ground.  I’m one who tries to find the good in everything, but it was very difficult to find meaning in the performance.  I think the dancers did a fantastic job and worked very hard. There were times when you could hear how heavy they were breathing, and they had to consistently dance for several minutes, which can be very exhausting.

I’m not sure if there was a reoccurring theme in each performance, but I think it was basically telling people to question what they believe to be true.  Most people think that dancing is usually a ballet or some interpretive dance, but this was completely different.  I wouldn’t even know how to explain it.  I wouldn’t call it dance but I think it was a form of art.  It was almost like a hipster dance; one of those random things that hipsters would think had so much deep meaning and feeling in it.

Some parts were very strange, especially the second performance when the girls were all saying different names and then started shaking their heads like something from The Grudge.  It was just very creepy and I thought I was going to get nightmares.  Luckily I didn’t.

I did enjoy the last performance though.  There was a lot of constant movement, and the music was pretty entertaining.  What I really enjoyed about it though was how the lighting made these large shadows on the back wall.  I really appreciated the dancers movements when I saw the shadows of them.  I felt like I could feel their emotion so much more when I just saw their movements, and nothing else.  So maybe the expression wasn’t to be found in just watching the dancing, but finding another way to see expression in dance movements.  I found it in shadows, someone else might have found it in stillness, and some might have even found it in tape.  All that matters is that everyone finds the expression in something.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/11/17/arts/17BARNARD.html

4 responses so far

4 Responses to “Dancing is a form of expression, so what expression was that?”

1.   nomibrodieon 21 Nov 2012 at 12:36 pm

I agree with you. If art only had meaning because people understood it, lots of famous books and poems wouldn’t have meaning. All it takes is one person to be touched by it, to understand something hidden in there, to connect to it on some level, and there is meaning. Then, people can analyze interpretations… and all of the sudden this once-meaningless piece of “art” has volumes of literature based on it. Hence, Shakespeare.

Reply

2.   michaelmanoplaon 19 Dec 2012 at 11:12 pm

I am just glad someone else was so disturbed by them putting tape on the ground. Why?!! It will bother me until the day I die. I also love your assessment of it as a “hipster dance” that was perfect. But with that judgement I have concluded that hipster should not legally be allowed to dance…..ever.

Reply

•   Stevie Borrelloon 21 Dec 2012 at 9:28 pm

I totally agree with you. Hipsters shouldn’t be allowed to dance. They actually shouldn’t be allowed to do a lot of things haha.

Reply

3.   Brian Boggioon 21 Dec 2012 at 7:11 pm

You know, now that I think about it, it seems like the things we enjoyed the most about the performances had nothing to do with the dancer themselves. The music and lights were so much more appealing than the dancers rolling around on each other, and the tape, well, yeah. It’s a good thing nobody from that show can read these posts..

Reply

Trackback URI | Comments RSS