Nov 20 2012

Screaming at the MOMA

I was blown away by the architecture of the Museum of Modern ArtsI was curiously browsing from room to room admiring the beautiful works of art. Then I texted my friend asking her if there was anything I should see, and she told me to look at paintings by Edvard Munch. This one caught my eye, and I am glad I texted my friend because I probably wouldn’t have seen this painting. The painting is amazing! The contrast of colors creates a wonderful contrast between land and the river beneath the bridge. I like how Munch makes the picture grainy instead of the more smooth look that pictures have. It kind of looks like a blend of painting and pastel. So many emotions can be felt from this painting like the horror the character has on his or her face. I like how Moma juxtaposes traditional paintings like The Scream with more traditional paintings from artists like Picasso and Van Gogh. This is more abstract art, while Leonardo da Vinci’s is more of a traditional portrait. This juxaposition shows how art changes over time along with styles. It also shows modern artists can create wonderful art as the big name traditional artists. I can sense the person’s fear of death and angst.

The photography was fantastic, but I was overwhelmed by the wide spectrum of photography and the number of pieces. I am very interested in photography, and I enjoyed seeing how each artist expressed their feelings and ideas through their photography. The contrast and black and white images added to the emotion the photographers felt because pain and sadness can be conveyed through darkness like the picture we saw at the end. It challenges my notion of photography beacuse I thought photography could just be pictures of people or places, but it can take many forms. It speaks to what a photo means in the twentieth century by exploring the concepts of modern photos and diferent ways artists can express themselves. I can’t wait to go back to MOMA!

Image Source: http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/4f43a80eecad04164c00001a-400-300/edvard-munch-the-scream.jpg

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS