Dec 17 2012

Wow!

I wanted to comment right after watching the performance while it was still fresh in my mind, but for some reason my Macaulay Eportfolios page decided to block me out the past few days, but I have been able to be really reflective on everything we saw this past semester, including the last drummer event, and my newfound appreciation of art I gained from this class. Although the kind of music we heard wasn’t exactly my taste, I gained a lot of respect for Cindy Blackman.

I once heard the quote “Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.” I kept thinking of that quote while watching Blackman’s performance. I felt that Blackman put so much heart into her performance, that she was telling a story that couldn’t be put into words or letters or pages, but a story that just had to be felt. I was mesmerized watching her play – you could just tell that she really felt her music. Even more than that, it seemed like she was one with the music – what I think is the mark of a true musician. In today’s day and age, when you can just turn on the radio and hear the same pop songs being played over and over again, I think that overall, as a society, we have lost a level of sophistication in music. Today stars are created over a short time period and people can become what is known as “You-tube sensations.” But Blackman’s performance simply blew me away. She played so well and the drumsticks just became a huge blur in front of my eyes. I could feel the intensity and heat and passion, and so could everyone else in the room. Blackman is not just someone that put a few videos online to show off her talents; she is not merely a fad that will fade over time. She truly earned her position of greatness.

I think the best way to learn something is by example. Growing up, when I had teachers that were passionate about their subject and truly loved teaching, that made me love the subject. When I saw that my teachers were teaching something important to them, that subject also became important to me. Seeing the expression on Blackman’s face while she played – you could just see the creativity and planning and dedication and everything Blackman puts into her work. You could see how vital music is to Blackman, and in turn, it becomes important to the viewer as well.

cindyblackman.jpg

One response so far

One Response to “Wow!”

1.   jmukofskyon 18 Dec 2012 at 8:02 pm

I think I know how you feel. That quote reminds me of what my mom used to tell me as a kid when my dad used to put on jazz music. She used to tell me when I listen to jazz I have to close my eyes and allow my imagination to run wild with the notes. Though I’m sure she told me this to preoccupy me I feel it also allowed me to imagine the story that couldn’t be put into words. However don’t you think the drums drowned out the sounds of the others two instruments a little too much?

Trackback URI | Comments RSS