Dec 18 2012

Ouch.

Cindy Blackman Santana & Friends performance was, in short, OVERWHELMING and PARADIGM SHIFTING.
As I was listening, it almost got to the point it hurt and I wanted to get out. On my way coming home, I wondered why.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/photos/profile/cindyblackman2008.jpg

Quite honestly, I say I am a fan of jazz music but when I heard that the performance mainly features the drums, I quickly lost interest. I always felt the drums were merely a way to relieve stress, something one would attempt to do without much sophisticated training or effort. It seemed natural for the drums to always stay in the back consistently assisting the melody. Maybe sometimes it may change its dynamics or patterns, but not to the point it may stand out. Because, that’s the way it has been. That is the way I feel most comfortable listening.

Cindy Blackman Satana & Friends’ performance, however, stood against my prejudiced beliefs and thoughts. As the name of the group suggests, Cindy Blackman Santana truly was the star of the show. Her artistic drum rolling soon triumphed over other instruments as if to symbolize our changing society. At some points I simply could not believe what was happening in front of my eyes as I saw her indulged in her own world of rhythm and music, hitting away the drums and cymbals NONSTOP. Thinking of all the pain enduring process from her hands to the arms and to her entire system, I couldn’t help but pay my respects to her performance. It was magnificent especially the energy she portrayed through her drumming while maintaining the sophistication of the dynamics and rhythmic structure.

To this day I thought I was an eclectic listener. However, Cindy Blackman Santana & Friends helped me realize how subjected view I used to have. I was prejudiced and had distinct preferences like any other. I almost felt guilty not being able to enjoy the process as fully as the significance it had but now I realize. Maybe the whole process was painful because it was a phase shifting moment for me — A moment of realization.

4 Responses to “Ouch.”

1.   jmukofskyon 18 Dec 2012 at 7:00 pm

I definitely agree that her performance was overwhelming and at times got extremely loud. However it’s great that you were able to realize something from this experience. Do you think the performance would have been better if the drums didn’t drown out the other two instruments as much, or would you not have had your moment of realization if that were the case?

2.   jtraubeon 19 Dec 2012 at 11:11 am

I thought that the drums would be a part of performance, but I wasn’t expecting that they would basically take over. It’s interesting that you compare the change in the role of the drums to our changing society? What is the basis of your analogy?

3.   michaelmanoplaon 19 Dec 2012 at 10:26 pm

I like your perspective from a fellow musicians point of view. I never realized that as someone that played the violin you would see the drums as being primitive. But I am glad to see that Cindy Blackman inspired you enough to look passed that misconception.

4.   Natalie Mae De Pazon 20 Dec 2012 at 4:41 pm

I am so glad that your perspective changed! Usually the drums would just be the simple background.. backbone of the songs but during her performance, the drums were the main attraction. I hope that you venture out and appreciate more music like that. Also, I love the use of “paradigm.” hehe.

Have a good holiday break!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS