Dec 19 2012

My Wicked-Awesome Experience

http://gershwintheatre.com/theatre_files/24/first_page/wicked_02.jpg

http://gershwintheatre.com/theatre_files/24/first
_page/wicked_02.jpg

This year in the beginning of December I saw Wicked the broadway play for the first time in my life. To say it was amazing, spectacular or fantastic would probably be an understatement. Let’s just say that I have been caught singing along to the Wicked CD in my grandmother’s car. I loved everything about the play from the special effects to the singing and the dancing. Everything was perfectly executed. But personally I’m not usually into musicals because I tend to get bored with the plot easily. I think that is what made this play so amazing for me-the plot.

Even though I had nightmares of the witch for years after first seeing the film, The Wizard of Oz is probably my favorite childhood movie, so once I heard that it was the backstory to The Wizard of Oz I was interested. Luckily for me the play did not disappoint and  I loved watching the drama unfold between Glinda the good and Elphaba, also known as, the wicked witch. It gave The Wizard of Oz context and I now viewed the film in an entirely different light. Not only did the backstory shed some interesting insight unto the entire story but it also enabled me to get offer my fear of the “wicked witch of the west.”

But aside from the plot, the singing was phenomenal, and as cliche as it is to say, I was blown away by their performance,especially of the song “Defying Gravity.” I actually was once on an elevator humming that song and I heard someone quietly singing the part where I left off. It was a girl around my age and ever since that experience I have vowed to marry her, obviously the wedding will wait until after I graduate.  In all seriousness though my entire experience of Broadway was extremely positive and it left me praying for a sequel.

One response so far

One Response to “My Wicked-Awesome Experience”

1.   nayoungahnon 21 Dec 2012 at 10:42 pm

I haven’t quite seen the show in New York but was lucky to be able to be part of the international production of Wicked (Original Broadway play just done by different actors). Thanks to that, I watched the performance twice within a week yet it was still magical and absorbing. I have to admit those songs are super catchy. Everyone despite their gender or age or nationality starts to sing along after they hear it. Your post made me realize how much I wanted to see it in New York and hopefully I will in the near future. If you want some extended experience of the Wicked there’s the new movie coming up “Oz the great and powerful” starring Mila Kunis and James Franco. There’s also the original book but I heard it is a completely different experience reading it and seeing the musical. (the book has more dark side to it, i heard) Hope you enjoy.:)

Reply

Trackback URI | Comments RSS