Dec 19 2012

WAKE UP

Beginning what was soon to be called “The Most Stressful Week I’ve Ever Had Since The Week Right Before,” I was just a tad put-off by the fact that I had to stay at school until 9 on a Monday right the last week of classes. To listen to drums for an hour and a half. Right after a business final. Eugh.

But you know what? I only let that bother me for nine or so hours, because I realized the symbolism (or cymbal-ism, *insert exasperated groan here*) behind it all was the perfect way to round out our first semester of college. With a bang…literally.

I’ve never been to a performance where all I did was sit and listen to people play music, and since my only real “concert experience” was Madonna, it was a radical departure from the jumping around and screaming I assumed happened almost every time someone brought music to a stage. The performance was lyric-less, and without any “thrills”, but it was anything but stagnant. I really felt like I could sit back and get into the music, which was both relaxing and energizing at the same time.

Cindy Blackman Santana: Being a badass in all the best ways.

The Cindy Blackman Santana Trio is composed of–or was composed of, this time–a trio of musicians who exhibited a glorious mastery over a series of difficult instruments. Everyone came to see Cindy Blackman Santana turn a simple drum set into an epic center of musical genius, but she was aided by two other skilled musicians (and yes, I’m kicking myself for not being able to find their names, because they really do deserve the recognition) that alternated between the piano and synthesizer, and the guitar and a very intimidating-looking bass.

The pieces they performed were wonderful, and if the trance-like state the guy next to be was in for the entire performance is any indication, then I feel right when I say what happened on that state was powerful and spiritual as well. What really got me though, was the intensity of the musicians, and the focus they put into their instruments and into the music as a whole. Watching Cindy close her eyes and just feel the beat of the drums was crazy. She wasn’t a musician, she was the music. The highlight? That glimpse I got of Cindy and the guitarist locking focus on one another as they played. You could see the passion and dedication actually manifesting itself in their stares – and it’s that kind of intensity that brought the music to life. It was surreal. I had chills.

Go. See. Listen. Experience.

Photo Credit

3 Responses to “WAKE UP”

1.   Cassie Luion 19 Dec 2012 at 9:29 pm

Totally agree with you. I was so upset that I had to stay until 9PM on a Monday night on the last week of school. I just want to go home, not stay in school longer…
    Anyways, as you said the intensity of the musicians really got me too. I felt her passion and her sounds were just amazing. It really made me want to go back to playing the piano and finding my passion in it and portraying the intensity within me. Just like them.

2.   michaelmanoplaon 19 Dec 2012 at 10:24 pm

I completely agree with you and Cassie on this one, I loved her intensity. I could not believe someone could move so fast and make it look so easy. She wasn’t even looking at the drums! Just like you, I was energized by her passion and love for the drums.

3.   Natalie Mae De Pazon 20 Dec 2012 at 4:44 pm

I’m glad you noted that the other two musicians definitely deserved props as well because even though they were the accompanists, they did one heck of a job. Your tone in your blog posts are brilliant as always and this one is no exception. I understood exactly how you felt. Please let me know if you find their names!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS