Dec 21 2012

The Little Drummer GIRL!

People always see the drums as an instrument played by men, so I enjoy when a women stands up and breaks that stereotypical mold.  Cindy Blackman definitely proved that drumming is not only for men.  Her style and rhythmic movements were so unique and outstanding I couldn’t get over it.  Her confidence and passion for drummer were apparent, and it was also very impressive that she was the only woman in the trio.  And she was the drummer! That is a very rare sight to see, and I’m glad that I was able to view it.

There were times, though, when I thought that the songs were going on for a longer time than they should’ve.  I even think the bassist didn’t know when to finish some of the songs, but I know that is what happens when you do a lot of improv.  It was actually very impressive that Blackman had such control of the stage and performance.  She was in the zone and no one was going to take her out of it.

http://www.boldaslove.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cindy-blackman.jpg

The rest of the trio was also very talented.  The pianist’s hands moved rapidly across the keyboard, and at times two keyboards at once.  I play the piano and I know the difficulty that goes into it, so I appreciated when I see a talented pianist perform.  When the pianist began to play on the grand piano I couldn’t take my eyes away.  The sound was so beautiful and he played it so well.  I might have actually been more impressed by the pianist than I was with Blackman.  If that pianist ever does a solo concert I will definitely be in the audience.

Overall, it was a great way to end the semester with a bang.  I was almost upset when leaving the auditorium, because I knew this was my last event with my IDC class, but it was one of the best!

2 responses so far

2 Responses to “The Little Drummer GIRL!”

1.   nayoungahnon 21 Dec 2012 at 10:12 pm

I felt the same way for the pianist. It’s such a pity they are only referred to as part of the “trio” (Cindy Blackman Santana and THE TRIO) They were no less talented than Cindy Blackman Santana and I think they definitely deserve more credit. I liked how you connected the experience with the end of the IDC class. It sure was a strong ending which will last long within our memories.

Reply

2.   bmcintyreon 22 Dec 2012 at 12:49 am

Yea I felt the same way about the songs. I watched as the bassist and pianist kept looking at each other with raised eyebrows and shrugged shoulders which was actually pretty comical. Overall however the trio was superb.

Reply

Trackback URI | Comments RSS