All posts by Janice R. Fong

Neighborhood Project Idea

For my project, I have two neighborhoods in mind.

1) Sheepshead Bay: I have grown up in this neighborhood my whole life and never lived anywhere else.  My parents have lived all over this neighborhood before finally settling in the house we live in now.  Unfortunately, I’ve never gotten the chance to really learn about the history of the neighborhood except in elementary school because afterward, I have always gone to school in another neighborhood.  I have been told Sheepshead Bay used to have a race track and some of the stable boys’ families still reside in the area.  I would really like to look into that because there is no evidence of a race track ever being in Sheepshead Bay.  Plus, the Bay is significant to the neighborhood and certainly has had an impact (ie: Hurricane Sandy).

2) Gravesend: I technically reside in Gravesend, but am much closer to the heart of Sheepshead Bay.  I’d love to explore the other parts of the neighborhood I technically “live” in.  Plus, there also appears to be a lot of diversity in the neighborhood.

Hi everyone!! :)

Hello everyone, my name is Janice Fong!  I’m originally from Sheepshead Bay, NY, and I have lived there my whole life until now, where I currently dorm at the 97th street residence hall.  I love Sheepshead, as I was surrounded by both Chinese and Russian culture- which are both awesome!  I went to Brooklyn Technical High School and focused on law as my major.  Growing up I really enjoyed reading and writing, but later found an interest in cross country and track in high school.

I came to Baruch because I wanted to be a business major, but I am still undecided on what my concentration will be.  Right now, I am leaning more towards the Weissman, but I am not really sure what I want to do.  I hope I can find out soon and I am sure that Baruch will help me with its large and diverse student body.

In the future, I really hope to do more schooling as I want to be able to expose myself to specialization in different fields to figure out what I want to do.   As of right now, I love eating, sleeping, reading, and more eating.

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 10.34.02 PM

This is me and my roommate (also my best friend that I met at Baruch!) at a Chinese New Year dinner!