All posts by Nicholas Arniotes

Project Ideas

I have narrowed my ideas of neighborhoods to make a presentation about with the following:

1. Bensonhurst, Brooklyn: I am hoping to focus on the demographic changes in the neighborhood, the surge of immigration into the area, and tensions between ethnic and or racial groups.

2. Upper West Side, Manhattan: I am considering researching and discussing the following: the impact of the construction of Lincoln Center; the disparities in wealth and resources in the neighborhood; and how the neighborhood shaped up the way it is now structurally.

3. Coney Island, Brooklyn: Coney Island has changed a lot since its rise in popularity in the early 1900s.  Topics I may want to explore are the rise of commercialism and development in Coney Island (which gets rid of older businesses), the reasons why housing projects are widespread in the area, and the impact of Hurricane Sandy on businesses and residents.

My Introduction

Hello, my name is Nicholas Arniotes, and I am a freshman in Baruch College.  I was born and raised in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, a neighborhood in Brooklyn known for its excellent pizzerias.  My family has a history in this neighborhood for several generations.  I am continuing a tradition that has been a part of my family for over fifty years.  Much of my values comes from my family and I consider my self a family-oriented person.  I have many interests and hobbies, which include but are not limited to: watching old movies; practicing music; playing video games; and enjoying American football.

I came to Baruch College because I got into the school through the Macaulay Honors College.  The scholarship allows me to benefit from the quality education that Baruch College offers while being a part of a prestigious society in CUNY.  I feel that Baruch College will offer me great opportunities in becoming a part of the business world.  My decision to come here seems odd to some because of my background as a musician.  The life of musician is very difficulty and highly competitive, so I believe I am better off investing my time to becoming certified as maybe a CPA or an actuarian.

I am unsure of what I want to do in the future.  Whether or not I go down a route of becoming an accountant or an actuarian, I want to become certified for both positions.  I hope to at least live comfortably and experience many new things.  I do not know what will happen in the future, but I wish that I at least accomplish a few of these goals.

In this class, my goal is to become more aware of social issues in New York City and to excel in this course.  I think it will be interesting and I am up for the challenge.

dreads

How I wish my hair would look everyday.  My Halloween costume a few years back.

Time, by Pink Floyd

My jam lately.  I uploaded this from youtube and the song was written and produced by Dave Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters, and David Wright.

Gilmour, David. “Time.” Perf. Nick Mason, Richard Wright, and Roger Waters. Rec. 1972. Dark Side of the Moon. Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd, 1973. Youtube. Google, 22 Jan. 2012. Web. 27 Jan. 2014.