All posts by marcsaadia

Sephardic Jews of Brooklyn

Congregation Shaare Zion, originally started in 1941 as a small prayer group in individual house’s is the largest “Keniss” or synagogue in the Sephardic Jewish Community. It has been the home to thousands of occasions, including bar mitzvahs, engagements, and weddings. It was the home of many of the greatest Sephardic Rabbis and Scholars the Community has ever had, and is considered to be the nest of the Community’s religious life in America.

Sephardic Bikur Holim, SBH, was started in 1974 by a small group of community members who would visit fellow community members in local hospitals. Since then it has grown into the largest communal charity organization. The services the Organization provides include marraige and counseling services, career service, senior services, food pantry, clothing drives, and many more. It is hard to find a member of the community who has neither participated nor benefitted from the Sephardic Bikur Holim.

The Sephardic Community Center, was built in 1979, and since then has serve as the most central location for community members of all ages to interact and socialize in an environment that promotes the Sephardic heritage and culture. “The Center” as it is referred to by community members is located on Ave S and Ocean Parkway which places it at the heart of Sephardic Brooklyn life.

Project Idea

For my neighborhood project I have chosen the area of Brooklyn inhabited by the Sephardic Jewish community. This community is considered one of, if not the most successful and united Jewish community in the world. This community has literally been built from the ground up. The leaders of this community came with absolutely nothing in their pockets, and have worked tirelessly to set the foundation and build an amazing community that continues to thrive today.  Both community schools and countless synagogues continue to keep this community together. We will research how this community became so successful and how it continues to stay true to its age-old roots despite the fact that it is among NYC, which is a melting pot of various different cultures.

Hey, I’m Marc

My name is Marc Saadia and i grew up in Deal, New Jersey, alongside the beautiful ocean. I now reside in Brooklyn, New York, but i spent the first 12 years of my life living in New Jersey. Growing up I played a multitude of sports including surfing, baseball, basketball, and football.

The two things that influenced my decision to come to Baruch most was the amazing opportunities Macaulay has to offer and the fact that i am able to stay close to home with my ever growing family. In the past couple of years, two of my sisters have gotten married, and my last sister is soon to be. My oldest sister, Lynda,  had her first child about a month ago, and my other sister, Marie, is currently 8 months pregnant. Things have been amazing, and I am truly blessed to be a part of this family.

I am currently studying English, Philosophy, Communications, Music, and of course the second Macaulay seminar. Most of these are required classes and some needed as i approach a business degree at Baruch. My ultimate goal in life is to make a comfortable amount of money so i can provide for my family and the people in need around me . I hope to influence many lives in positive ways throughout my journey.

As for this course, I am very excited to delve into it, being that I am intrigued by the vast amount of people, beliefs, and religions around the world. The fact that NYC is a melting pot full of different races and religions can only serve to broaden my knowledge and understanding of people from all around the world.

Lastly, here is a picture of me and my handsome nephew Marty.

unnamed