My Introduction

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 2.43.16 PM

Hi everyone!! My name is Nursultan Djamalidinov but you can call me Nick. I was born and raised in the glorious nation of Kyrgyzstan(it’s actually a real country) and  immigrated here in 2002. Coming here, I had a lot issues adapting because where I lived in upstate New York, there were no Asians at all so when people begin to single me out as the only Asian, I started to feel isolated. I felt a lot more at home when I moved down to Brooklyn. I was actually so happy to see another Asian that I creeped one guy out when I approached him.

I want to major in finance because of a combination of personal and financial reasons. I need a major that can help me get a lot of money because my parents are going to depend on me to take care of them when they retire. I need a job that can pay for them and myself. I also recently got an interest in stocks and I would like to be stock broker. Because of my past and my upbringing, I find the issues of race very interesting. I like learning about the concept of race. I tend to fall in an awkward zone where Whites think I am Asian but Asians do not consider me White. I would also like to know why people are racist and other fundamental questions.

What I really want to do in life is to travel the world. If possible, I would love to travel to at least every continent. Right now, I really want to visit China, South Korea, Japan, and Germany. I really appreciate the study abroad program which can give me an opportunity to get started on my goal.