Tag Archives: Ethnography

Project Idea: Fresh Kills

I find Staten Island’s Fresh Kills neighborhood interesting because it had a long history as one of the most notorious landfills in the US. Also, unlike many other landfills, Fresh Kills is located near predominately white communities so I want to find out why they chose to live there. What caught my eye the most is that Fresh Kills is being transformed from a landfill into an ecological park. I want to explore the demographical differences between the people living near Fresh Kills back in the days when it was a landfill and the people living near Fresh Kills now. I could also explore the community myself and talk to people who currently live there about their views of the landfill and the prospective Fresh Kills Park.

Neighborhood Project: Wall Street

Wall Street is interesting because it isn’t a residential area, but a commercial one. I want to look into the history of income inequality at Wall St. In 2011, Occupy Wall St. caught the eye of the media for a couple of months. This demonstration is very likely to have affected the businesses and firms in the area. I hope I will be able to talk to the people who work in the area and interview them on the aspects of income inequality and their views on Wall St.