Policing Solutions

The three problems I proposed were the validity of drug-use-related crime, the blurred line between revenge and justice, and lack of reform opportunities.

My solution to the problem of drug-use related crime is the decriminalization of use of all drugs. The idea is that the funds formerly being used toward arrests, trials, and incarceration for drug crimes could then be used for mandatory and/or voluntary drug treatment programs instead. The programs can be run or monitored by former prison security guards, and if there are success stories, it may allow those same guards to see prisoners in a different light, making abuse of prisoners less likely. Along with decriminalization, there should be a public campaign attempting to publicize the benefits of drug treatment programs, and take away any fears people might have of seeking help. The production and sale of drugs would still be criminalized. The main risk this idea poses is that more people would end up trying drugs because they know they wouldn’t be arrested for doing so. However, trying drugs isn’t the problem. The problem is becoming addicted or hurting one’s self or others while on drugs and drug treatment programs would be available to prevent that. Also, this idea was implemented in Portugal in 2001 and has so far been successful.

The drug treatment programs mentioned above would also tie in with the third problem I mentioned, which was a lack of reform programs. My idea for combatting this problem is similar. Shorten sentences for certain crimes, and instead use the money that would’ve gone toward further housing inmates to implement mandatory re-entry programs. In addition, one of the biggest problems former inmates face is lack of job opportunities. I think that this is in part because employers don’t think former inmates will be trustworthy. Therefore, I think that inmates should be allowed the option to have their progress throughout their time in prison documented to show former employers. This would allow employers to see the potential employee’s behavior, and how it may have improved over time while incarcerated. Employers would be more willing to hire former inmates if their records showed that they were actually reformed while in prison. This would increase how many formerly incarcerated people would be hired, decreasing the likelihood that they would return to crime for survival. In addition, it would be prison guards and/or psychiatrists that monitor this progress and make reports. In actively trying to view an inmate’s progress over the course of incarceration, prison guards would be less likely to see them as a nuisance and more likely to see them as people trying to improve themselves. This could therefore improve interactions between prison guards and inmates.

I have not yet come up with an ideal solution to separating revenge from justice. There were many factors to be considered and ultimately I didn’t see a solution that was actually viable. Revenge seems like something so hardwired into our minds that most legislation or social programs I thought of seemed like they would face fierce opposition, or, be written in law, but not really enacted

Sources:

http://www.alternet.org/story/151635/ten_years_ago_portugal_legalized_all_drugs_–_what_happened_next

This entry was posted in Policing Solutions. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Policing Solutions

1. Aychen Halim says:

While I agree that documenting inmates’ progress while they are in prison could help their job prospects after they are released, I think allowing prison guards to be the ones who document could backfire rather than foster more positive relations between guards and inmates. Prison guards are notorious for abusing their power. They often blackmail prisoners, which inmates oblige to in order to avoid physical abuse, solitary confinement, etc. Allowing guards to document progress would essentially give them control over inmates’ future livelihoods, and they would likely abuse this power by accepting bribes from prisoners in exchange for high scores and blackmailing prisoners with the threat of low scores. In order to prevent abuse and ensure that progress reports are completed competently, professionals such as psychiatrists or social workers should handle the documentation. However, hiring these kinds of professionals would be extremely expensive, making the program unfeasible. As an alternative, I propose a government program that would provide tax benefits to businesses that hire formerly incarcerated people .

2. Yeji Chun says:

I believe it is a good idea to keep records of inmates’ behaviors for their future employment purposes. However, as Aychen mentioned, the problem would be the prison guards being the one to keep the records. There definitely will be the abuse of power and the possibility of incorrect reporting, depending on the guard’s feelings towards the inmate. However, if is not the guard who is keeping the records, there will be less of those problems. The cost of hiring non-guards are also a problem but if we are able to use this idea to keep formally incarcerated from reentering the prison, it will eventually save money. Also, since we are helping the formally incarcerated to reenter the society, they will be benefiting the country with their jobs, allowing them to pay back for the finances they used in the prison. Additionally, your idea on decriminalizing all drugs can definitely backfire if people abuse the use of drugs because they know they will not be penalized. You did mention this problem in your post but having drug treatment programs might not help those who are not willing to be treated. Rather than decriminalizing drugs, it might be better if the people who uses drugs are arrested and put into drug treatment programs rather than prison. This way, drugs will still be criminalized but the criminals will not have to go to prison.

3. Michael Sanchez says:

I find your solution to this problem justice system very promising, and a step in a more humane approach to dealing with certain legal issues. What you propose is basically a counter argument to the “war on drugs” in the 1970’s. While I agree that the war on drugs should be upheld to the illegal distribution and production of drugs, the decriminalization of drug abuse should be a priority in justice system reforms. Drug abuse should be treated more as an illness rather than a crime. Mandatory rehabilitation is a safer and better alternative to prison sentences. How can the justice system choose to punish someone who has a physical and psychological dependence on drugs? However, there is a problem that the departments would point out: funding. The main argument against this solution would be how to properly fund it. An argument could be made that a great amount of money will be saved by not imprisoning drug addicts, and that could be used to fund a project of this size. Also, since rehab centers are privately owned, another issue would be trying to find which rehab centers would be part of a government program, etc. Of all the reforms however, this seems the most feasible. And with the changing drug laws slowly taking place in the country, hopefully the criminalization of drug addiction will begin to falter as well.