Russian Orthodox Home Practices

Russian Orthodox Home Practices

Interview with Vera Palazova, a devout Russian Orthodox Christian

Russian Orthodox Christianity: the Neglected Religion of Staten Island

Russian Orthodox Christianity is a religion that many people on Staten Island are not familiar with, yet there is a community of Russian Orthodox Christians residing in this very city. This includes Vera Palazova, a 75 year old devout Russian Orthodox Christian from the Soviet Union. She has practiced Russian Orthodox Christianity throughout her entire life, regardless of where she was situated. She even continues to practice it in Staten Island, where no Russian Orthodox Church can be found and the most dominant religion is Catholicism. Due to her limitations, she now practices her religion at home, by performing Russian Orthodox rituals at home, or by continuing to celebrate the Orthodox holidays.

Reflection on Research Method

To understand the practice of Russian Orthodox Christianity, I chose to interview my grandmother, who requested not to be identified. Instead, she chose to be identified as “Vera Palazova”. After conducting this interview, I learned that my grandmother is a strong woman who endured a lot in her life, and religion is one of the main reasons why she was able to make it through all of her hardships. After hearing her story, I realized that because of what my grandmother went through, she wanted to make sure to keep the religion alive with our family in America just like her mother did in the Soviet Union. She always prepares food for every Russian Orthodox Christian holiday, such as Kutia for Orthodox Christmas and Kulich for Orthodox Easter. While this may seem very minimal, she made sure since I was a child to understand that I was a Russian Orthodox Christian and she would always answer my questions about the religion. Just like her mother, she was dedicated to keep the religion alive despite the circumstances.

To her, Russian Orthodox Christianity “cleans her soul” and it “makes her a better person”. She is not the only person who feels this way either. The rest of my family also thinks that Russian Orthodox Christianity benefits them in their everyday lives. Even if the Russian Orthodox Christian population never dramatically increases, or a Russian Orthodox Church is never built on Staten Island, Russian Orthodox Christians will continue to keep their faith. Since religion was prohibited in the Soviet Union, it made them more determined to keep their faith alive, regardless of what they needed to do, and that is exactly what my grandmother did. She kept the religion alive at home, and was even able to pass it on to her children, and her grandchildren. Russian Orthodox Christianity may be neglected in Staten Island for a long time, but the people who are Russian Orthodox Christian will keep the religion alive at home no matter what.

The History of Russian Orthodox Christianity

It was in the 9th century when Greek missionaries from Byzantium introduced Christianity to Kievan Rus (now known as Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus). Before there was Christianity, Paganism was the dominant religion of Kievan Rus, and it was not until the 10th century when a Christian community among Kievans led by Greek priests began to grow. After the creation of this Christian community, Christianity began to slowly spread, which led to the first ruler of Kievan Rus to convert to Christianity, which was Princess Olga of Kiev in 945 – 957. This is when Christianity began to increase in popularity. The man who is believed to have started Russian Orthodox Christianity was Olga’s grandson, Vladimir I, who was baptized in 988, the same year that Russian Orthodox Christianity was formed. Ever since then, it has been a dominant religion in Russia for many centuries.

In modern day society, many countries now practice Russian Orthodox Christianity. It did take a blow during the years of the Soviet Union, however, because religion there was absolutely prohibited. Vera experienced the oppression herself, and had a lot to say about it. When asked what year religion was prohibited in the Soviet Union, she said, “The Bolsheviks came and banned religion in 1917. They destroyed all churches, demolished all churches, they removed, threw, and broke down the bell [that was on top of the church] and they watched over anyone who wanted to believe in Russian Orthodox Christianity”. Her mother, however, kept Russian Orthodox Christianity alive in their home. When asked if she continued to believe in Russian Orthodox Christianity, she said, “Yes, we did practice at home. My mother would read prayers, we even had a holy icon hidden behind a shelf, and when it was very difficult for my mother, she would walk over to the holy icon and would ask God for help. My mother taught us to know that God exists but still, it was all forbidden and hidden”. Vera’s mother taught her everything she knows about the religion today, and because of that, it helped her to continue practicing the religion in Staten Island.

Vera’s Thoughts on Russian Orthodox Christianity in Staten Island

After living in Staten Island for 13 years, Vera has noticed the neglect towards Russian Orthodox Christianity throughout the years. When asked why she thinks that there is not a Russian Orthodox Church on Staten Island, she said, “There isn’t a church here in Staten Island because there aren’t enough Russian Orthodox Christians here. This is probably why there isn’t a church here, there are more Catholics and Jews here than Russian Orthodox Christians, and it doesn’t make sense to have a Russian Orthodox Church. You can go to Brooklyn or Manhattan for that. Whoever wants to believe will go there”. Vera believes that even though Russian Orthodox Christianity is neglected here, it should not stop a true Russian Orthodox Christian from practicing the religion. She also made it clear why a Russian Orthodox Church was never created in Staten Island, and that is because there was never enough support for a Russian Orthodox Church to begin with.

While it is believed that a Russian Orthodox Church will be built in Staten Island one day, Vera has a different opinion on the matter. When asked if she thinks that a Russian Orthodox Church could ever be built, she said “Well, if a lot of Russian Orthodox Christians come here, than maybe a priest along with donations can start a church”. She thinks that only a priest can have the drive to start up a Russian Orthodox Church, and also the only way he would be able to do it is with a lot of funding and support. When asked if she thought the population of Russian Orthodox Christians could ever dramatically increase in Staten Island, she said, “I don’t think so. You see, there are very little Russian immigrants that are Russian Orthodox Christian, because they are mostly other religions”. She believes that there is nothing pulling Russian Orthodox Christians here because of the small community of Russian Orthodox Christians and there being not one Russian Orthodox Church located in Staten Island. However, Russian Orthodox Christians have resorted to practicing at home to keep their religion alive.

Russian Orthodox Home Practices

While there is not a Russian Orthodox Church on Staten Island, Vera insists on going to the Russian Orthodox Church in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Since this church is far away, she mostly practices at home. When asked if there are rituals that she does at her church that can also be done at home, she said, “When I can’t get to my church, I can still light a candle in front of the Holy Icon, and pray whenever there is a lot on my mind. I stand there and think, and talk to God. I often do this. I buy the candles at my church, and I always have holy water and holy candles”. However, when asked where she feels better, being at church or being at home, she said, “Well, that is some question…when you go to the theater, you don’t go every day, right? That’s the same way with going to church. I’m not trying to compare the theater and the church; it’s just that you go to the theater, how much, once a month? Well I go to church three or four times a month…it’s just that I always want to go back to church”. She can always practice Russian Orthodox Christianity at home, but it will never be as fulfilling as going to church.

Another way Vera practices Russian Orthodox Christianity is by celebrating Orthodox holidays. There are two huge holidays for Russian Orthodox Christians, and they are Orthodox Christmas and Orthodox Easter. On these two holidays, the entire family gets together and they have an enormous feast that lasts all day. While these feasts involve a lot of Russian food, there is a traditional dish for each holiday that must be made, and Vera is the one who makes them every year. For Orthodox Christmas, she makes Kutia, which is made up of wheat, raisins, poppy seeds, and honey. Kutia must be eaten first, and then everyone can start eating the rest of the food on the table. For Orthodox Easter, she makes (sometimes buys) Kulich, which is an Easter bread made up of milk, eggs, dry yeast, sugar, salt, butter, sour cream, raisins, vanilla, and flour. This bread is also topped off with a frosting made up of sugar, lemon juice, and rainbow sprinkles. Kulich must be the first dish to eat in the morning, along with colored boiled eggs that Vera makes as well. While Russian Orthodox Christianity may be neglected here, Vera still finds ways to keep it present at home by making these traditional dishes to keep the Orthodox holidays as authentic as possible.

Written by:

Michelle Kushnir 

Russian Orthodox Home Practices 

Interview with Dima Klochko, a devout Russian Orthodox Christian

Russian Orthodox Christianity: The Neglected Religion of Staten Island 

A new wave of immigration brings many Russian and Ukrainian immigrants to Staten Island, New York. Naturally, many of these new immigrants are members of the Russian Orthodox Church who regularly practice the Russian Orthodox religion. Before their immigration from Russia or Ukraine, the immigrants were able to visit their own churches and attend their own masses as form of practicing their religion. One of these new immigrants is a very good friend of mine – Dima Klochko. He has been here a little over a year and is a member of the Russian Orthodox Church. Dima practiced the religion back in Ukraine along with the rest of his family who still resides there. Unfortunately, there is no Russian Orthodox on Staten Island for Dima to attend. Despite this absence, Dima keeps the religion alive in his home by observing all of the Russian Orthodox holidays and performing the rituals he would if he was still in Ukraine.

Reflection on Research Method

Being that Dima was already a good friend of mine and that my research topic was on Russian Orthodox Christianity, I asked him to participate in an interview with me. I was extremely eager to hear about his journey to the United States – Staten Island, New York more specifically – and his spiritual journey in his religion. Dima was very excited when I asked him about his story. I learned a lot of interesting facets about my good friend. Dima sacrificed a lot to come here to the United States. He left his whole family behind in Ukraine. He, also, left all of his friend and his whole life’s familiarities back in Ukraine. Dima came here not speaking English very well whatsoever. Dima had to adapt to a new culture, lifestyle, and language very quickly. He started college at the College of Staten Island in the same year. things were rough for him. Russian Orthodox Christianity was one of the only things that remained constant in Dima’s life.

Russian Orthodox Christianity helped Dima to stay strong on his overall journey. Dima said, “Russian Orthodox Christianity is the most important thing I have. It has been with me for as long as I can remember. It makes me stronger mentally and emotionally.” This was extremely inspiring. Through everything he has been through, his love of God has never lacked; on the contrary, his love for God was stronger than ever. Before this interview, I had no idea how religious my friend is. Dima is determined to keep the Russian Orthodox religion alive in his home. He will not settle for anything less.

Russian Orthodox Home Practices: How Dima Keeps Russian Orthodox Christianity Alive in His Home

Being that there is no Russian Orthodox Church on Staten Island, Dima sustains the Russian Orthodox religion in his home. When I asked Dima exactly how he sustains the religion, he replied, “I pray.” Dima went on to explain how he makes the Sign of the Cross:  he takes three fingers, puts them to his head, then to middle of his chest, or his heart, then to the right first, then to the left. Since Dima’s answer was simply that he prays, at first, I was confused. I went on to ask him how this kept the Russian Orthodox religion alive. Dima answered, “It’s simple. Praying gives me my own personal relationship with my God. Praying is the most important.” Dima went on to explain to me how he prays every time he wakes up thanking God for giving him a new day and to watch over him throughout the day guiding him to make decisions. Dima also prays every night before he goes to sleep thanking God for the day he was given, for all the good and bad that has happened throughout the day.  In the prayer at night, he said it is important to say everything you did throughout the day – the good and bad things. This is a form of absolution. You profess your deeds to God and He forgives anything distasteful you may have done. “It is important to thank God for everything in the day – the good and the bad,” Dima said. Dima went on to say how he prays throughout the day as well just to talk to God. “My favorite thing about my religion is my relationship with God…Russian Orthodox allows for me to have this strong, special relationship. I love my God.”

Dima, further, sustains the Russian Orthodox religion by performing rituals and observing Russian Orthodox holidays. Dima’s favorite holiday is Maslinetsa. This is a holiday where in which they fast and can only eat pancakes. This holiday takes place on October 26th celebrating the start of the Spring season. He loves this holiday because he loves both pancakes and the Spring season. He is a huge fan of food. Moreover, I asked him what his favorite Ukrainian food was. He was so excited to answer this question. His favorite food is borscht – soup containing chicken, potatoes, beats to make it red, carrots, onions, broth, cabbage, and sour cream. It is a dish that is almost always at the table, especially during holidays. It is custom to have this whenever celebrating something.

Dima takes his faith very seriously and is a very strong candidate of his faith. He believes that God gives him the path to do anything, but it is up to him to take it.

Dima’s Thoughts on Russian Orthodox Christianity in Staten Island

Though Dima wishes that there was a Russian Orthodox Church in Staten Island, he is not think it is really that big a deal that there is not one. Dima started explaining to me that most of the religion was celebrated in the home. “All of the holidays and events were at the home,” Dima explained. The Russian Orthodox Church was meant for the people to celebrate together. The togetherness part of the religion is what is lacking due to the absence of the Russian Orthodox Church.

“I still pray with my mom every single day. We never ever miss praying together. I thank God for Skype.” Dima and his mother pray every single day together over Skype. This is where Dima is able to experience the togetherness of the Russian Orthodox religion. There is nothing Dima loves more than to pray with his mother. “There are no two people that matter more to me in this world than my mother and my God.”

“I am not mad that there is not a Russian Orthodox Church on Staten Island. I hardly ever went in Ukraine because my family and friends would always pray together. I never needed to go to the church to pray. No big deal!”

Written by:

Vanessa Marie Vitiello