Saint Paul’s Alba House

The Mission of a Catholic Society  

Interview with Brother Peter Lyne, S.S.P.

Outdoor Prayer Room; Christina Dellaventura

Abstract

In this recorded oral history interview, Brother Peter Lyne, S.S.P—who has been a member of the Society of Saint Paul’s chapter on Staten Island for decades—provides insight into the society’s fascinating history as well as the role the society plays in the Staten Island community and in communities around the world today. Brother Peter’s story, beginning with his initial introduction to Saint Paul’s and ending with his most recent experiences, leaves the listener wanting to hear the stories of every person who has either been a part of this society or has experienced this society in some way. The following interview analysis examines the events and circumstances described by Brother Peter within the context of immigration history and religious practices in New York City.

Background Information

Very few Roman Catholics lived in America in the early nineteenth century. During the 1840’s, however, this began to change as Catholic immigration increased in response to the Irish potato famine. Between 1840 and 1920, immigration to the United States of other religious groups, such as Jews, Protestants, Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists increased as well (Byrne, n.p.). These religiously diverse immigrants brought with them their beliefs and practices, and even founded institutions modeled after ones already existing in their homelands. For some immigrants, the foundation of these institutions in America was the primary motivation for immigrating.

Residence Building; Christina Dellaventura

The Society of Saint Paul—a ministry and mission run by Roman Catholic priests and brothers living in community with vows of obedience, poverty, and chastity—is an example of such an institution. Saint Paul, originally known as the persecutor of the Christian faith Saul, became one of the most outgoing proponents of Christianity during his lifetime as well as the author of 14 letters in the New Testament. His prolific writings and determination to spread the Christian faith have led him to become the patron saint of authors, publishers, and the press (“The Pauline Family” 28). Inspired by Saint Paul’s mission, Blessed James Alberione began the “Typographical School of the Little Worker,” a small printing school consisting of two young boys and one machine, on August 20th, 1914 in Cuneo, Italy (“What Are You Searching for?” n.p.). In total, Blessed James Alberione founded ten separate institutions including four religious congregations for women, four institutions for secular religious life, one lay cooperation association, and one religious congregation for men—the Society of Saint Paul (“The Pauline Family” 3-4). Today, the Society of Saint Paul exists in over thirty countries (“What Are You Searching for?” n.p.).

Chapel in the Residence Building that Brother Peter described as the most important room, where the priests and brothers get the strength to do what they do; Christina Dellaventura

Brother Peter Lyne, S.S.P., a Roman Catholic brother whose interview is available above, has been a member of the Society of Saint Paul on Staten Island for “forty something years” (7:34). Although Brother Peter is not an immigrant to America himself, his parents immigrated here from Ireland, making him “first generation American of Irish descent” (01:07). He currently works in the Public Relations Department: “I am the official, well representative, of the Society of Saint Paul and of Saint Paul’s Publishers, which brings me to Catholic high schools to meet with the chairperson of the theology department, the librarian…” (10:00). Brother Peter’s job falls under the category of community outreach, and it is community outreach that has been largely responsible for the success of the Society of Saint Paul since its foundation.

“On the Cutting Edge”

The Society of Saint Paul was one of the first, if not the first, Roman Catholic society devoted to “preach through communications” (22:08). Most popular Roman Catholic groups with this goal have been founded more recently. In 1967, following Vatican Council II, Pope Paul VI initiated World Communications Day to celebrate the success of the field of communications in spreading the Gospel (“What is World Communications Day?”). The use of communications for religious purposes was not always accepted and celebrated. Despite the society’s success in Italy, Brother Peter says that in America “they didn’t understand the mission because most communities of religious are familiarized with teaching, hospitals, and orphanages” (21:23). Saint Paul’s redefined the roles of religious communities.

Perpetual Adoration Chapel open 24 hours per day; Christina Dellaventura

Perpetual Adoration Chapel open 24 hours/day; Christina Dellaventura

In the 1950s “…communications was at its earliest stages in the Church and we were really, like I said, we were on the cutting edge” (Lyne 24:02). Because Saint Paul’s was “on the cutting edge,” they had to introduce and explain themselves to the Roman Catholic community in America as well as the community at large. They did this through advertisements: “How we grew here in the United States was through advertising” (24:20). The members of the Society of Saint Paul realized that in order to expand, they had to explain. They continue to keep up this tradition today.

Meeting the Society of Saint Paul

Brother Peter’s own introduction to the Society of Saint Paul was a result of its community outreach and it was the society’s unique focus on communications that attracted Brother Peter to it. The society visited a career fair at Seton Hall University, where Brother Peter was going to school. He says, “I remember picking up a brochure…it said ‘Communicating Christ’…the first word that caught my eye was communications. I was drawn to that word” (02:51). Before seeing this brochure, Brother Peter was unaware of the mission of the Society of Saint Paul and unaware of the multitude of career options available within religious communities. He recalls, “I always viewed the priest as saying Mass…and the brothers and the nuns teaching, not realizing the vastness of the Church” (05:21). Brother Peter stretches his voices over the word “vastness,” his pronunciation reflecting the meaning of the world itself. Through community outreach, the Society of Saint Paul had explained their mission to Brother Peter, who would in turn spend the rest of his life communicating and explaining that same mission.

Outdoor Garden and Shrines; Christina Dellaventura

Early Challenges

When Father Francis Boranno, S.S.P. and Brother John Morango, S.S.P.—the two men sent by Blessed James Alberione from Italy to bring Saint Paul’s to America—arrived in the United States in the 1930’s, they faced challenges that were common among most immigrants of that time and that are still common among many immigrants today. These challenges included prejudice, hostility, and a language barrier. Brother Peter comments upon the experiences of Father Francis and Brother John: “They couldn’t speak English. They had no money. But, they were befriended…by the Jesuits of downtown New York” (18:21). In his reflection, Brother Peter recognizes that Father Francis and Brother John not only faced challenges similar to those of other immigrants, but also reacted to these challenges in similar ways.

Statue of the Crucifixion; Christina Dellaventura

Father Francis and Brother John made friends with people of the same ethnicity and religion and chose to live in primarily Italian neighborhoods (Pozzetta, n.p.). Brother Peter says that this is the reason Father Francis and Brother John settled in the area of Staten Island where the society is located today: “That’s how they first became introduced into this neighborhood…it was primarily Italian” (19:34). Brother Peter says that the society expanded to include members of various ethnicities through advertisements: “Newspaper. Advertising…That was one of the ways they drew men from all over: first generation Polish-American, Irish-American, Italian-American, German-American” (24:47). Father Francis and Brother John adjusted the language they spoke and the way in which they spoke depending on the people they were speaking to.

Translation

The Society of Saint Paul continues to adjust to the changing needs of the communities its priests and brothers serve in response to changing demographics. Brother Peter says, “There is a tremendous need because the demographics have changed so much from what used to be Italian, Italian-American, Irish, Irish-American, Polish, Polish-American, German, German-American…The incoming population are the Hispanics, so we’re reaching out to them with our publications in Spanish” (31:40). Brother Peter showed me the large storage area, run by Father Hernando of Columbia, designated for Spanish materials.

Storage Area for Spanish Materials; Christina Dellaventura

Through community outreach, Saint Paul’s has not only spread to people of various ethnicities, but also to people of various religions. Brother Peter remembers, “On Tuesdays, Tuesday evenings, for some strange and wonderful reason, Hindus come here…They have a great admiration, maybe a devotion to Saint Anthony…maybe because of the fact that Saint Anthony is so well known…helping the poor” (40:54). A similar event occurs every Tuesday night in Bangalore, India, where over 500 people of various religions pray before a Saint Anthony shrine. Shanty people, or people who live in small shacks, placed the Saint Anthony shrine in Bangalore next to a Hindu temple.

The tradition of Hindu worship of Saint Anthony may have been carried over by Hindus immigrating to America. The people who visit the shrine in Bangalore say that the shrine provides a quiet place where God can be accessed off a busy street and a place free from restrictions that dictate who can come and how they can worship (“Wayside Worship Venues Draw People, Symbolize Religious Harmony”). Saint Paul’s on Staten Island also provides a place off a busy street where people go to access God and a place free from restrictions that dictate who can come and how they can worship. The Society of Saint Paul’s relationship with both the Hispanic community and the Hindu community show that the society is continuing their tradition of welcoming and serving immigrant communities.

Saint Anthony Shrine; Christina Dellaventura

If the Society of Saint Paul had never visited schools and churches or printed advertisements and brochures, people like Brother Peter probably would have never had access to it. This society has used similar methods to spread to people of various cultures and ethnicities around the world. Saint Paul’s is not only successful because it reaches out to these communities, but also because it adjusts to the needs of these communities.

My Experience

Brother Peter’s explanation of his relationship to the Society of Saint Paul led me to remember my own first encounter with Saint Paul’s. My mom took me there to show me the store where she found the Miraculous Medal I had asked for as an 18th birthday gift. I learned afterwards that Saint Catherine Laboure was eighteen when the Virgin Mary appeared to her with the necklace’s design. For the first time in my life, I felt as if I were a part of history, that I—a girl living in America in the 21st century—had some sort of connection to Saint Catherine Laboure—who lived in France hundreds of years before.

Listening to Brother Peter explain the mission of the Society of Saint Paul, I had that same feeling that I was a part of history. I was hearing a story that so many other people around the world had heard. However, I felt like my experience was special and memorable for a few reasons. First, in addition to hearing the story of the Society of Saint Paul, I also got to hear the story of Brother Peter Lyne, S.S.P., a story that I’ve had the opportunity to share with you. Second, Brother Peter gave me a tour of the grounds and the buildings and almost ten free books on topics pertaining to my age group. Last, I got to eat lunch, which consisted of Kentucky Fried Chicken and my favorite Breyer’s Ice Cream, with the twenty-three friendly priests and brothers who make up the Society of Saint Paul on Staten Island. I would like to thank Brother Peter Lyne for sharing his story with me and all of the staff members at Saint Paul’s for giving me such a wonderful experience.

Works Cited

Byrne, Julie. “Roman Catholics and Immigration in Nineteenth-Century America. Nationalhumanitiescenter.com. National Humanities Center, Nov. 2000.Web. 16 May. 2014.

Lyne, Peter. Personal interview. 9 Apr. 2014.

Pozzetta, George. “Italian Americans.” everyculture.com. Advameg, Inc, 2014. Web. 27 Apr. 2014.

“The Pauline Family.” New York: Society of Saint Paul, 2014. Print.

“Wayside Worship Venues Draw People, Symbolize Religious Harmony.” National Catholic Reporter 43.29 (2007): 3. Academic Search Complete. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.

“What Are You Searching for?” New York: Society of Saint Paul, 2014. Print.

“What is World Communications Day?” catholicireland.net. Catholic Ireland, 30 Nov. 1999. Web. 16 May. 2014.

Written by:

Christina Dellaventura

Does Consumerism Negatively Affect the Christian Religion?

Interview with Maryann Signore, an employee of Saint Paul’s Alba House bookstore

Abstract

In my oral history interview, which I conducted with Maryann Signore, an employee who is very dedicated to her work in the ordering and inventory department, has given us much insight into the institution as well as the work behind the success of Alba House bookstore. While Signore might assume that she cannot be much of contribution to the Society of Saint Paul’s, she is rather the reason behind the success and maintenance of Alba’s House. Her dedication to the overwhelming amount of order and returns is the primary reason the Society continues to grow. For the most part, she places order from online and phone calls from different catalogues such as Spanish and English.

Background

Saint Paul’s Alba House is run by the Society of Saint Paul, which is made up of priests and brothers. Saint Paul, originally known as Saul, a persecutor of the Christian faith, became one of the most outgoing proponents of Jesus Christ around two thousand years ago. The church along with the chapels, shrines and bookstore were all created to spread religious messages of Jesus Christ. Today, Society of St. Paul’s main purpose is to provide vocation information to their community of Catholic Brother and Priests. Their mission statement as written on their website is  “Communicating Christ through modern media.” For many years now, individuals have argued that the mixing of consumerism and religion has taken away the true meaning of the religion practices. In contrast to the opinionated belief that consumerism diminishes religious beliefs and practices, Saint Paul Alba’s House deepens their customers faith by reinforcing their beliefs and practices through the use of modern media.

Consumerism and Religion Goes Hand In Hand

From our previous research on consumerism and religion, both individuals and scholars had this negative connotation between the two. However, that feeling changed as more people started to observe the positivity of consumerism on religion. Christian bookstore is one of the main examples that have exemplified the standpoint that consumerism does not dilute religious practices. The bookstore has not only used consumerism to preserve individual cultural identity, but has also used that as means of spreading the religion as opposed to diluting it.

Business Continues

In addition to selling more general materials, Saint Paul’s Alba House has also implemented a few ideas in which they had observed from successful secular stores and businesses. Rather than becoming threatened by the many online stores, such as Amazon and eBay, Saint Paul’s Alba House runs its own online store and ships its merchandise. Additionally, they also increased their level of sales by “providing a third method to those individuals who do not have an Internet readily available or cannot make it to the physical location by placing orders through the phone” as stated by Maryann.  This bookstore would have probably ran out of business if it was not for their online bookstore. The individual who is in charge of making sure these orders are correct and full customer support is the main reason for the success of this store. My interviewee was particularly “responsible for properly taking these calls and making an effective placement of order.” Maryann Signore works in the inventory department of the Christian bookstores and leads quite a busy day. “My daily workday consists of phone calls made by customers, who can place their orders, make returns and report any issues regarding their order.”

“Keeping Faith In God”

Maryann Signore can be seen as an example where consumerism can be used to spread the message of Christ and not in fact destroy or dilute the religion through the use of their materials. She has told me that her “spiritual aspect has been consistent.” With much talking, she realized that her faith “has become stronger as result of working at the bookstore.” Signore reasoned “the constant ordering from the catalogue and reading the blurbs to the customer, it has individually affected my spiritual aspects. After reading the blurb, I can tell the customer what the book is about. Just from reading the blurbs, I have learned quite a bit even though I do not like to read.” One might assume that no faith can be kept at the same level, similarly just as one person is not the same from day to day, and in fact everything is changing whether it is miniscule differences or observable ones. Regardless of the case, her life has become “better” as she firmly says “I believe in God even in the time when I was close to losing my faith. Keeping faith in God has helped me” Overall, the bookstore uses consumerism to preserve the individual cultural identity. “Through the twelve years of working at the Society of Saint Paul’s, I was able preserved both my Catholic faith and my background of growing up in Brooklyn.”

English, Spanish, Korean, and Even More!

Signore was a very approachable person which is primarily important to this facility since it will be the main reason for its success in selling materials as well as welcoming individuals who are interested in the religion. She was very informative of the “different books available in the English, Spanish and Korean catalogues.” Additionally, she told me about the “Masses are held in another language for customers whose native language is other than English. Father Lee holds masses in Korean for our growing Korean population.” Providing materials other than books is welcoming Spanish, Korean and soon Italian speaking people into the bookstore.

Works Cited

“Society of Saint Paul: History of Congregation.” Society of Saint Paul. N.p., 1 July 1999. Web. 16 Mar. 2014.

“Vocation Priests and Brothers Society of St Paul.” Vocation Priests and Brothers Society of St Paul. N.p., 2014. Web. 16 Mar. 2014.

Written by:

Spogmay Khan