Wicca: One Staten Island Woman’s Experiences

One Woman’s Wiccan Practices

Interview with Adele Basile, a Wiccan shop-owner

Introduction

For many people, their religion is an essential aspect of who they are. While religion is a defining characteristic for most everyone, creating a universal definition of the term “religion” has proven to be a daunting task. In America, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, a belief is held under the First Amendment right of religious freedom if it is “within the believer’s own scheme of things religious.” This broad definition of religion is especially important for religions with no central authority, such as Wicca. Despite having been legally been recognized as a religion — the result District Court of Virginia’s 1985 ruling in Dettmer v Landon — not many people know what Wicca is. With no central authority to define the religion, it is often left to the individual practitioner to determine what the religion is for them. This results in the practice differing, sometimes greatly, from person to person.

Adele Basile is a devout follower of Wicca, as well as the owner of Mystikal Wonders, a small store that specializes in Wicca and other spiritual beliefs. When Adele was asked to define Wicca she stated:

Wicca is a religion of the god and goddess, the two halves of one self, the female half and the male half. But we worship the goddess, any goddess we choose, and a god, any god we choose, okay. And we don’t necessarily have to worship them, but this is what Wicca is. And Wicca has rules and regulations. How it defines itself, how it differs from witchcraft is with the law of three— do what ye will and harm none. (01:33)

Even in Adele’s definition of Wicca — one where the Wiccan chooses which god and goddess to worship, if any at all — the complexity of the religion is evident. Yet while the definition that Adele gives to Wicca is incredibly broad, the way that she practices Wicca is extremely specific.

Adele’s Childhood

I must admit that when I first met Adele I was more than a little skeptical. This was not because I do not believe in Wicca, but simply because I have encountered more than one fraud in the past and had yet to encounter a true practitioner. Yet, I only had to speak to Adele for a few minutes to realize how seriously she took her religion. While Adele has said that no one ever accused her of being a fraud, she has encountered many skeptics. In fact, growing up even people she considered her friends used to taunt her and make fun of her because of her beliefs.

Adele was born to a Roman Catholic family, but admits that her parents were very open-minded, and allowed their children to explore whatever religion they wanted to. This was especially important for Adele, who felt very spiritually inclined from a young age. In fact, Adele admits that when she was younger she would be able to sense when something was about to happen, a gift that would very often get her into trouble because no one truly understood what it was. She said that her friends would taunt her and call her names. “They would call me a seer, they would call me a witch,” she recalled (07:19). This was a hard time for Adele, who had not yet found Wicca. Unable to freely express her spirituality, she often kept it to herself, or as she worded it “put a zipper on [her] mouth.” (07:29)

As Adele grew older and discovered Wicca, she found a way to embrace her spiritually. Learning about the religion, however, was an incredibly lengthy process. In fact, Adele is still learning more about Wicca and spirituality, and it is likely that she will continue to learn more throughout the rest of her life.

Turning to Popular Media for Information

Adele is skilled in many areas of spirituality and Wicca. At her store, Adele teaches classes in tarot, past life regression, healing meditation, chakras, and more. When asked how she learned to become a master in these fields, Adele answered simply: “I went to classes. I read. I, I’m and avid reader. I’m an avid teacher of whatever I read. I absorb what I, what is written, the written word. But also I hear…” (17:17). Unlike other religions, Wicca does not have a church or similar institution where one can go to learn the faith. Consequently, Adele had to turn to other sources for instruction. Ideally, she would go to classes when she could, but finding such classes proved to be difficult. More often, Adele would turn to other forms of information, namely books. Adele read as much as she could on Wicca and other spiritual practices— careful to avoid anything that was untrue— and applied everything she learned to her own practices. She has even come as far as to teach what she has learned to others.

This is incredibly important as Adele points out that many people who come into her store with misconceptions about Wicca is. Adele credits these misconceptions with the representation of Wicca and witchcraft in popular media, such as films and television shows. She joked that, “you can’t just point a wand and, you know, something is gonna happen” (31:58). Adele has made it part of her responsibility to educate others in the ways of Wicca. People can come to her to learn about the religion. The first piece of advice she often gives people, even before telling them to sign up for her classes, is to read. Adele always makes sure that her store is stocked with books that are both interesting and informative.

Wicca at Home

In addition to helping others learn about and carry out Wiccan practices through her store, Adele is also an avid practitioner of Wicca in her own life and at home. In addition to daily rituals and practices, the most important way that Adele practices Wicca is through the celebration of eight holy days known as Sabbats. While Adele did not go into detail about each individual holiday, she did spend some time discussing the most important of the celebrations — Samhain, pronounced Sa-wen.

Adele explained the significance of the holiday, celebrated from sunset on October 31st to sunset November 1st. According to Adele, Samhain is “a witch’s new year. And that’s when we, when the veil between earth and the other side is very thin” (22:43). The day is marked by the celebration of life, death, and, for some, the worship of spirits. One tradition that is practiced during Samhain is the preparation of a Dumb Supper, which is often observed with friends and fellow practitioners. Adele informs that a Dumb Supper is “a supper that you would set places for whatever spirits you want to join you at your table” (25:20).

The celebration of spirituality is at the essence of Adele’s practice of Wicca. She celebrates the Wiccan Sabbats, but also incorporates her beliefs into her daily life. This is done through her prayer, meditation, spell crafting, and even simply the way that she carries herself — always making sure to follow the law of three, making sure to put only good energy out into the universe.

Final Thoughts

When I first sat down with Adele to interview her, I did not know what to expect. In the conversations I had with her prior to the interview I could tell that she is a very wise and insightful woman. As she spoke I became incredibly invested in every word that she had to say. The more that she told me, the more that I wanted to know. As the interview came to a close and I asked Adele for her final words, she began talking about the importance of embracing spirituality. She was not trying to convert myself, or anyone else listening to the interview, to Wicca. She was, however, urging us all to keep an open mind. Immediately after the interview I bought two different books from Adele, eager to learn more. I look forward to returning to Mysikal Wonders in the future and learning more of what Adele can teach me.

Written By:

Christopher Morabito