Between the two readings, I found White’s article to be the more compelling read. He first describes New York as home to those who are not only full of spirit, but also those looking to be filled in spirit. I find this point accurate because it is a good way to illustrate not only the vibrant character of New Yorkers, but also the wearisome nature of others in our fast-paced society.

I definitely agree with his point that amongst the Three types of New York Cities, the third City of the immigrant born elsewhere “accounts for New York’s high-strung disposition” (White, 26). The defining characteristic that makes New York unique and sets it apart amongst other great cities is its position of being home to all kinds of immigrants. I truly believe that we are at the apex of diversity and that no place else in the world can claim such a greater achievement.

The concept that Jacobs illustrates in her article is that we are all responsible for policing our sidewalks and streets, and is ultimately what makes our city safe. The story of the woman who opened up her tenement window to shout across the street to the writer that the bus does not run there on Sundays was a familiar story to me. I remember that I had a similar experience, when I was parking my car and was about to pay at the parking meter, when a complete stranger walked up to me to let me know that parking at the street is free after 5pm. This really goes to show that people who do not know each other still look out for one another.