I noticed while reading the fact sheets how in New York City the rent guidelines tend to favor tenants over owners rights. While I think its necessary for harassment issues among others; when it comes to eviction owners are put at a much greater disadvantage. If an owner rents to a lemon of a tenant that doesn’t pay the rent and destroys the apartment the owner has to go through the whole court system, all the while the tenant is continuing to live there without paying and destroying the apartment.

I know someone personally that was renting out the apartment in her house, the tenant lived in the house for years without paying rent before she was finally evicted. The owner of the house missed out on years for rent because of the run around court processes. She didn’t own a big apartment building, she was a single mother renting the apartment in her two family house. She didn’t know the in and outs of the court system like many of the landlords in New York City do. So while the system may work for landlords owning multi-apartment buildings, it doesn’t for owners like her that don’t necessarily know the system, but use the rent of one apartment to help pay the bills.