The Rent Stabilization and Rent Control Facts plainly outlines what rent stabilization and rent control are and the rights of tenants in these rent-controlled apartments. Reading this fact sheet was very helpful in defining what rent control is, and I can see this as being a useful resource for tenants who do not even know what rent control is. Reading this fact sheet I couldn’t help but think that the tenant rights ensured by living in a rent-stabilized apartment should be the basic rights of all tenants throughout the city. Tenants who live in rent-controlled apartments are protected from harassment by their landlord, rent overcharges, eviction, and arbitrary rent increases. Tenants who feel as if they have suffered from any of these factors are allowed by law to seek recompenses. For example, owners who are found guilty of tenants harassment are subject to fines of up to $5,000  for each violation.

Harassment is a very common experience for tenants and yet only those living in rent-stabilized apartments seem to have a fighting chance.  I wonder what are the next steps to ensure that all tenants receive these basic rights, and how this can be accomplished. Is it even possible to ensure that all tenants experience these same rights? I understand that the details behind landlord-tenant relationships may be blurred when examining things such as rent increases and rent overcharges because regular apartments are not regulated the same way rent-controlled apartments are. However, additional steps need to be taken so that tenant rights are secured for every tenant in the city.