Climate Change Conference Pledges

Hey guys! So there is a global conference in Paris that is coming up in early December to address climate change issues. Here is a link to a break down of the CO2 emission reductions that a few countries pledged to reach by 2025/2030. The way the authors chose to make this kind of interactive slide show (not really sure what else to call it) reminded me of our discussions yesterday on our poster layouts. I found it to be really appealing and easy to understand. As you scroll down, the graph will change slightly adjusting to the different information it is relaying. I thought this was a really cool and clear way of showing the data, comparing one country with the next. It’s really quick and easy to go through, so check it out!

3 thoughts on “Climate Change Conference Pledges”

1. Hey Norma! I’m really glad you shared this because I knew nothing about this conference. It’s interesting to me that the goals discussed only extend as far as 2030 when China’s pledge was to peak it’s emissions at 2030. I feel China should have had some sort of goal to reduce emissions past that date. It was very quick and easy to go through and the graphs on the side really helped my understand what exactly was being pledged. Thanks for sharing!! Hopefully these goals are capable of being achieved so swiftly!

1. I was actually wondering why China made a pledge like that to start in the future, especially since their reduced emissions would still be higher than the “Business as usual” of the US. It seems that China is still focused on immediate growth of their economy rather than the health of the people and stability of the economy and environment. Herman Daly, an ecological economist, explains that growth is not sustainable and governments need to understand that in order to implement a sustainable economy. China is just not there yet.