Reflection Writing

I have gone through everyone’s five reflections now. I realize after the fact that I need to provide more background and context for the act of writing reflections. Many of you have pointed out in your reflections that your prior science class experiences were based on memorizing a large quantity of fact and explanation without taking too much time to discuss. While it is certainly an important part of science to “know the facts”, science and it’s role in society is much more than that. The reflections are one mechanism for making you think about this. The best reflections are those that connect what we are doing in the Science Forward seminar to your personal experiences and both your formal and informal prior learning. Here is a perfect example from one of your entries:

In the past, I have only taken high school science classes like Biology and Chemistry, where the teacher would write facts and theories on the board and the students’ role would be to memorize them. We would go chapter by chapter, topic by topic through a textbook. The students would sit quietly and listen, and only raise their hand if they didn’t understand something. In English class last semester, we learned that this method of teaching/learning was called the Banking concept of education where basically students are just basically filled up with facts, without gaining insight to how or why it’s important. I did well in these types of classes because all I had to do was memorize information, but I never retained the knowledge afterward or felt like I was getting anything out of the classes.

This entry connects past personal experiences to new knowledge gained in the classroom (last semester’s English class). The rest of the entry was equally outstanding. There were other really good examples like this, and this is the type of reflection that I am hoping to see from everyone for the last few entries we’ll be doing. Here’s a link to some information on reflective writing from the University of New South Wales:

https://student.unsw.edu.au/reflective-writing