Looking to Lose Weight?

I was walking around the Macaulay building today looking for some interesting poster to blog about. Most posters I saw were visually appealing, but no topic really caught my attention. After a while I was beginning to think I might just have to settle for one. But just when hope was almost lost a high school buddy of mine spotted me and called out “hey Jason! why don’t you come take a look at my poster? It might help you lose some of that extra weight you got.”

Calling someone overweight may be an unorthodox way of attracting people to look at your poster, but he did manage to grab my attention. His poster covered the topic of the incredibly trendy juice diets. Basically, when someone is on such a diet they only have juiced fruits and vegetables. The idea is to remove toxins from one’s body while getting vital nutrients and consuming a minimum amount of calories.

The group aimed to ascertain whether or not people felt the juice diet was effective. They went about their mission by handing out questionnaires to about 140 college students. Their results indicated that people who haven’t already tried the juice diet would tend to continue to stay away from it (I guess people aren’t too attracted to partial starvation). The majority of people who did already try the juice diet responded that it was effective and they would try it again if need be. Clearly the results were a little mixed, but it seems the juice diet is something you should try before judging.

There may have been posters with more sophisticated research about a pressing issue, but my friend certainly knew how to draw people in. This group definitely had my vote for best pitch. Good job guys!

2 thoughts on “Looking to Lose Weight?”

1. Definitely interesting to read that they found the juice diets to actually work, even if it was just through a survey. I remember when friends of mine were all buying the special food processors but never actually going through with it. It would be cool to see this with some scientific evidence.

1. I was thinking the same thing. It reminds me of your group’s poster Kristen where you compared perception of plastic consumption vs actual consumption. Personally, I don’t plan to live off cranberry kale shakes anytime soon.