1886 Broadway

Posted by

on

Lily Chen – Baruch

Though this public space does have a large sign it is kind of hidden away. As you walk past Lincoln Plaza Cinemas there are four pillars and the sign is on the fourth pillar. If someone did not walk in further enough they could easily miss the sign. From the outside I also didn’t think this was a space I could enter in because it felt very tucked away in the back.

Going further inside to the space, there are a couple benches and two trash cans. There wasn’t anyone around besides a family that was passing through with their children to go into a building nearby. I feel that this space would be more useful in the summer since it is so cold out nobody really wants to sit outside.

As for the nature setting at this public space the front bushes were at a good height to indicate as a gate to not enter inside the grass but also low enough so that you can see the trees and larger bushes up top inside the garden. I would say this space is not bad but I am more of an indoor person so I prefer the Atrium public space more than this one.

During our walk we also talked about hostile architecture which contradicts to the phrase “public space.” Though this area is public it is clear that there is an unnecessary bar at the center of the benches to maybe prevent homeless people from sleeping on it.