David Rubenstein Atrium 61West 62nd Street

Posted by

on

Lily Chen

Starting at the entrance of the building there is a large metal sign that makes it very obvious that this area is a public space. There is also a button for disabled people to be able to easily enter into the building, however, the automatic doors only work for the second door inside not the door outside. Maintenance is needed to ensure that those in wheelchairs can be able to access this space.

The second sign that I noticed was that this building is LEED certified which means that they would be environment friendly and cost saving. This is obvious as you walk in and look up into the ceiling, there are holes in the ceiling allowing natural light to come in. Overall, the setting is ambient, calm, and dim it is more reliant on the sunshine that is coming through to give in more light. However, I feel that the light is just right.

I feel that the overall setting is welcoming and I would come visit again if I was around this area. There are a lot of empty tables and chairs for sitting and many people are here doing work or eating lunch. What I was interested in is how they built their green wall. Over the summer I was also trying to build a green wall myself at Socrates Sculpture park however my project was mainly on finishing a green roof so I did not get to finish my side project of a green wall. I wonder how the plants were set up and how the dirt is set into place.