Fracking is Poltics

Up until a few weeks ago I was very unaware of what fracking is so I decided that for “Is this Science” I’d research this topic. I found an article on Science Daily that was written by Stanford University, it synthesis various academic studies to reach a conclusion on the impact of natural gas drilling. The writer tries to reason that fracking is an eco friendly alternative to coal but it may pose a threat to people living near by.

The argument is that fracking will definitely provide society more energy then conventional forms of energy production, all we have to do is ensure that it is done in a safe manner. I find this unlikely since 1-10% of wells fracture and leak chemicals, unfortunately there is very little concrete evidence: “we still don’t know whether methane losses from well pads and pipelines outweigh the lower carbon dioxide emissions.” While reading the article I began to notice the frequent use of “unknown” and “don’t know” in association with possible effects on human health, the article quotes an expert saying, “Almost no comprehensive research has been done on health effects.” I find this lack of knowledge severely disturbing, it’s proof that there is almost no government regulation regarding fracking and people are exposed to potentially dangerous chemicals.

The author doesn’t fully analyze the environmental impact of fracking; it’s academically accepted that it leaves a smaller footprint than coal, but what are the consequences if all of Washington gets on the fracking bandwagon? Funding and subsidies may end up being diverted from more ecofriendly energy sources like wind, solar, or hydro. Its important to keep in mind that fracking is a step up from coal but if we allow it to replace other forms of renewable energy then globally progress towards preventing climate change will be lost. This viewpoint was expressed in another article regarding fracking in England, they seems to be taking a much more cautious and regulated approach towards the natural gas industry.

So finally is this science? Yes and no. Yes because any complex issue these days can be tied science, but no because it is primarily a political issue. Fracking is a viable form of energy production when subjected to proper regulation but currently very little research is being done, corporations have the power to steamroll municipal opposition and a large portion of the research seems to be funded by energy corporations.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140912112522.htm

One thought on “Fracking is Poltics”