My Ecological Footprint

My ecological footprint measured 4.7 earths and 17.3 acres, this differed from the USA average, 17 acres and 5 earths, below the average earths, but above the amount of acres.

The three sections I maximized were use of electricity, garbage production and consumption of food grown. When minimizing the amount of electricity (enough to survive in the modern world), the amount of earths – 4.6 did not vary that much from my original amount of earths – 4.7. When I maximized garbage production that increased the amount of earths by 3, to 7.3 earths. When I maximized consumption of food grown, I got a number of 3.9 earths. The differing number of earths necessary decreases as natural resources increase; additionally, as unnatural resources are being used the number of earths increase.

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 9.28.15 PM

As a society, to make the world a more sustainable society we need to cut back on a lot; by doing these footprints you can easily see the effects of eating meat versus eating food grown, or the effects of the increased amount of garbage. We can continue recycling to decrease the amounts of actual garbage, we can decrease the amount of meat consumed to once a week instead of five, we can unplug our TVs and anything plugged in the wall when we’re not home to decrease use of electricity. There’s a lot we can do, it’s just easier to continue living at our convenience. I think this was mentioned in class, that all these things were invented or started because they made things more convenient, we can try to stop the old habits, but we should also try to stop any new habits from appearing, that’ll hurt earth.