Footprints are an example of indexical representation

WJT Mitchell  says so. There’s your bit of literary theory for the day.

By comparison to the American standard of having to use 5 earths, I use one entire earth less at 4. I am slightly below average. Though, conversely, I use one global acre more at 18 than the US average at 17. Personally, I’ve no idea how that works, but oh well.

I decided to maximize subway travel, electricity usage, and animal by-product consumption:

GRAPH

On the other side of things, I discovered that if I made a move to veganism as well as eating mostly fresh and locally grown products, I could reduce my impact by however much is worth .4 Earths. This seems like a half ridiculous measure but I guess we’re rolling with it. Generally speaking, though, I think a general shift toward more eco-friendly diets is one of the best and easiest ways to help the environment and ourselves (no, really, vegetarianism/veganism is not that difficult). And seeing a,s of the values that I tested, electricity has a huge impact on our eco footprint, it might be a good idea to just generally use less of it—and pay less for it in the process.

2 thoughts on “Footprints are an example of indexical representation”