“To look is an act of choice”-John Berger

While exploring the Queens Museum, one of the first pieces of artwork that intrigued me was this massive painting on the wall, located right in the lobby. This was only one of two murals in the lobby and I wondered why this one was strategically chosen to be displayed here.

When I look at this painting, I see a woman looking into another piece of art and tries to be like the woman in the painting. My interpretation is that this mural summarizes a preeminent objective of art. Art is transformative! It can take you away to a world that is displayed through colors and schemes and textures and movement. Just by using your eyes-and a bit of imagination- you can instantly be transported to a specific time period, or event, or even face-to-face with someone or something.

This picture has this depth and this is why I think they chose to put it in the lobby, so that as visitors enter, they can absorb and be reminded of this transformative power of art and thus, enhance the experience that they are about to have.

“To look is an act of choice” is indeed an accurate quote to connect an audience to art. When we look at art, what we think and judge has immense impacts on what we see. We often look with opinions, especially regarding “good” and “bad” art. Perspective is key and to be able to understand and appreciate a piece of art, we must come with an open mind. Too many times we look, but do not see. We must choose to open our eyes and let the art speak for itself.