Unknown Aspects of Well-Known Classics: The Arts in NYC, Spring 2018!

The Arts in New York City is an enriching Seminar that exposes students to aspects of the five boroughs that they most likely have never seen before, let alone have analyzed or considered as factors that affect their everyday lives. For that reason, I have decided to take my students on an adventure of sightseeing New York in unique ways, including hands-on activities, behind-the-scenes glimpses, and things of which we may be familiar of their history. This class offers an exciting opportunity to experience New York City classics in new ways with new friends!

Event One: The Transit Museum – $10 for adults

The Transit Museum, located at the corner of Boerum Place and Schermerhorn Street in Downtown Brooklyn, is a de-commissioned subway station that includes trains from various time periods in New York history. I have personally visited this museum before, and it was so interesting to see the evolution of design that New Yorkers would see every day. We will get to see the transition from traditional-inspired to industrial-style train cars, as well as find out how the subway networking system has evolved over time.

Read this article about the Transit Museum before our visit here.

Event Two: American Muse Exhibit at the Museum of American Illustration – Free with Macaulay ID

This exhibit pays tribute to the roles women played in New York. I chose this exhibit to expose students to how these roles and their portrayals have changed (and not changed) over time, and how women, although may have been learned to have rather submissive roles in society, have largely contributed to society from the 19th century onward.

Read the full synopsis of American Muse before our visit here.

Events Three and Four: Meet and Greet at Ellen’s Stardust Diner/A Bronx Tale, the Musical – Thurs., March 7th @ 7pm, $39/adult

For this session, Ellen’s Stardust Diner will graciously close to the public and hold a meet and greet with our students. Students will learn of current experiences with singers who are auditioning for Broadway shows, what they love about their jobs and what has led them up to this point. I chose to do this in order to give my students a glimpse into what it takes to get onto Broadway (in the eyes of the waitstaff). The students will conclude the day with their fourth event to see A Bronx Tale on Broadway, because it will give students another historical glimpse in a town they all know well and what it took to achieve a high position of work in the 1960’s.

Read these articles about the Diner before our visit here and here.

Event Five: The Museum of Moving Image + Jim Hensen Exhibit – $15/adult

The Museum of the Moving Image shows visitors all of the work that goes into producing motion pictures that we are all familiar with today. Additionally, The Jim Hensen exhibit showcases Hensen’s successes in the industry which include the use of puppets. As well as the history of New York Art, I wanted to expose my students to methods of producing art that they can take part in currently, should that become one of their personal interests and aspirations for the near future.

Read about the Jim Hensen exhibition before our visit here.

Event Six: Modern Pinball (Museum), $11

Having heard amazing experiences at this museum, I wanted to show students a history of not only the arts, but all aspects of creating entertainment within the STEM industry, to appeal to more students of different interests. The museum includes a room of real pinball game stands. Students will get to play the games as well, revealing how the engineering of gaming has changed over time.

For a glimpse into the history of Pinball through the eras, read this article before our visit.

Event Seven: Amazing-Race-Style Scavenger Hunt in Central Park – April 18th, free

I chose this event because I have never been to Central Park until I only had to walk through it in order to get to a Macaulay event in Manhattan. This scavenger hunt is a free-style, start-whenever event that gives students a three-hour tour of Central Park, including some of its historical pieces of art, like statues, architecture, and more, which have all been inspired by at styles of the time they were created.

Browse the Central Park website and see if you can spot these landmarks during our visit!

Event Eight: The High Line, free

Students will be able to travel on their own to the High Line, pick one piece of art and analyze it, giving compliments and critiques and exploring what historical events may have inspired it. I chose for students to visit the High Line because it is a free venue with ever-changing exhibits. This will introduce them to a place they can re-visit over and over, and still have something new to look forward to.

Read about inspirations behind some of the High Line’s art pieces here.

Event Nine: The Met Opera – Roméo et Juliette – May 1st at 7pm, $25

I chose this opera because students will get to see yet another story they are familiar with, but in a new and exiting way! The Met Opera is one of the required Macaulay events for Seminar One, but this opera will be an enjoyable experience for all. Although it is sung in French, this choice of opera will keep students engaged with how the story of Romeo and Juliet is portrayed from around the world.

Read the Met’s information about the opera before our visit here. Browse the backgrounds of the singers and storyline as well.

One thought on “Unknown Aspects of Well-Known Classics: The Arts in NYC, Spring 2018!

1. I’m struck by the way that you’ve incorporated elements of the city itself into the structure here–from the subway to various parks. I wonder how this theme might fit in with some of the other events in unexpected ways. There’s also elements of labor highlighted in your meeting with the staff at Ellen’s Starfust Diner and the Jim Henson exhibit. In other words, there are a lot of ideas to discuss in relation to this series.