Standard and Nonstandard: The Arts

STANDARD AND NONSTANDARD

In this class, I would like to explore both standard and nonstandard forms of art. From street art to dance performances to the opera, the spectrum is wide. Art is what is found in the museums and in the concert halls. But it can also be found in a graffiti-streaked garage door. Or in architecture. Or in yourself. I would like students to come out of this course being able to appreciate art and interpret it, as well as being able to value the art that they themselves can create.

MUSE PAINT BAR, Tribeca

Cost: $35

Class trip: Feb. 7, 7:00 pm

There are a few reasons why I would kick start this class with visiting a paint bar. First of all, I think it would be a good ice breaker for the class; for everyone to get to know each other. In addition, it would (I hope) make them feel more connected to art. Instead of art belonging to the artists and the dancers, any person can create art. I think that is important to know, going into an arts class. Perhaps afterwards everyone would bring in their piece and others would analyze it, working on “interpreting art.” It would also be interesting because then the artist would be able to tell over what was intended and what was not, as opposed to museums where this is unable to be determined.

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, The Majestic Theater

Cost: $29

Class trip: Feb. 19, 8:00 pm

The Phantom of the Opera is broadway’s longest running hit. This past fall semester, many people in our class attended their very first broadway show. To set the bar high, why not take my class to one of the best performances? As an added plus, I hope they would get the feel for what an opera is before we attend one. A musical is definitely a standard form of art, and one that most people enjoy. I would have like to book a backstage tour of the event but there are two downsides. First of all, it has to be done a year in advance. And second, it would probably spoil the magic anyway, right?

click HERE for some fun facts about the play

BRONX ZOO

Cost: Free on wednesdays!

Class trip: Feb. 28, class time

People most likely wouldn’t consider the zoo as an arts venue. However, there actually is something called an “animal artist.” They pick the animal, and the animal creates the masterpiece. In order to appreciate what goes in to designing and up-keeping a zoo, we will go on a tour of the zoo with Jim Breheny, the director of the Bronx Zoo. Students will first brainstorm in class about questions they might have – how do they decide what animals to put next to each other? What about how they design each animal’s habitat? There definitely is “method to the madness”.

MUSEUM OF THE MOVING IMAGE, Astoria

Cost: $11 with Qcard or cultural passport

Class trip: March 7, class time

The museum of the moving image is located in Astoria, not dragging the students too far. Here, they could explore many different exhibits, from how film is made, to a film screening, or even a video arcade! It is fascinating to take film – something that we take for granted – and see how it was invented. I think it would make students more appreciative of what incredible technologically advanced era they were born into.

click HERE to visit museum’s website

HARLEM WALKING TOUR

Cost: Pay what you decide

Class trip: March 21, class time

This walking tour gives an interesting twist to Harlem. It visits an art salon, a renaissance ballroom, architecturally interesting places and spaces, and more. It is interesting that architecture is a form of art. To me, the most important part of the tour is the street art that you visit. I would like my students to realize that in order to find art you do not have to step into a museum or a dance studio – it’s right in front of you. The streets are filled with incredible art that people just don’t even take a second to glance at. The treasure might be in your very own backyard.

click HERE to learn more

click HERE for a preview

TURANDOT, Met Opera

Cost: on the house

Class trip: March 28, 7:30 pm

When we went to Madama Butterfly at the Met Opera, I was blown away. Not only was I able to follow along, but the stage really came alive. I want that to occur for this class as well. And on an even bigger scale. The set of Turnadot is extremely intricate and breathtaking. I also chose this opera because of the familiarity – Madama Butterfly was also by Puccini. The art that will be experienced is threefold – the music, the singing, and the “architecture” of the stage.

click here to see the incredible set!

BALLET HISPANICO, Joyce Studio, Chelsea

Cost: $26

Class trip: April 11, 7:30 pm

The Joyce Theater is located in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood, and can be accessed by public transportation. This theater hosts many event and dance companies. One of them is Ballet Hispanico. I would like to take the class here because of my experience at Fall for Dance. I only realized during that performance that I really enjoy dance performances! I think students are underexposed or feel too young to attend these types of events, and so going as a class would introduce them into this world. Hope they would like it!

click HERE for some rave reviews!

check out the blog HERE

NEW YORK HALL OF SCIENCE, Queens

Cost: Free Sundays and Fridays

Independent Visit: April 14 – April 25

The New York Hall of Science is conveniently located right in Queens! The exhibit that I would like my class to visit is the Geometric Figurative Works, an art exhibit. Karl Szilagi has created black-and-white pictures that are optical illusions. On the website, it states that “his art explores how we perceive patterns as both flat and three-dimensional at the same time.” This is actually mind boggling. The goal this exhibit in relation to the course is to spark the question of how science and art are interrelated; how they affect each other. This event would interest both the “sciency” and the “artsy” student.

check out the exhibit HERE

for the science behind optical illusions, click here 

GRAND CENTRAL STATION, NYC

Cost: free

Class trip: May 2, class time

As our last class, the Grand Central Station seems fitting. It incorporates both standard and nonstandard forms of arts, all of which hopefully, by now, the students will be able to identify and appreciate. From the murals on the ceiling, to the incredible architecture, to the musicians and other artists, this site is all encompassing. My inspiration for this trip was Aviva’s presentation on the “venue” to the class.

One thought on “Standard and Nonstandard: The Arts

1. Starting the class by creating art together is a great idea. I like how you placed “Phantom” before “Turandot” so that it gives a certain kind of glimpse into the opera world. I’m not sold on the idea of the zoo as art but I like the idea of the Hall of Science visit!