“Delusions”

photo

This past Tuesday, we visited “Delusions” at the Rox Gallery. This gallery was definitely different from all the other galleries we visited. The creator incorporated mental feelings in his work. When you look straight at the picture above, it looks like a regular piece of artwork. However, when you shift to the side, the portrait looks like it has 3D features(shown above-side view). This part of the portrait makes it look unique. It is hard to see in the picture above, but in real life, there are multiple women who seems like she’s standing on reflections of herself. This factor definitely corresponds with the “delusions” theme of the gallery.

In other pieces of artwork, the creators incorporated both nude and clothed models. In the picture above, the woman seems to be nude, but don’t worry she’s wearing nude-colored clothing. The mirrors on the side make it appear like there’s more than one person in the portrait, but it’s just the same person repeated. I wonder why the creator used mirrors.

I wonder what inspired the creator to place the model diagonally, almost like she’s in the air floating. I’m also curious about the color of the portrait. It’s a partially neon greenish-yellow and it stands out to me compared to other portraits. When I stopped by to ponder and look at it, I couldn’t bring myself to move away. The message behind the portrait is very deep and fits perfectly in the “delusions” theme. My favorite part of this photograph is that the viewpoints when you look straight ahead and from the side are completely different. From the side, it looks like there are two images. This blurriness makes the viewer feel “delusional.”

What other pieces of artwork stood out to you when we were in the Rox Galleries and made you feel “delusional”?

One thought on ““Delusions”

1. Lisa Puran

Hey girl!

I definitely agree that “Delusions” was very different in comparison to the other places we visited. I think that the image you picked does show this “delusional” theme. I guess the artwork can have different images, depending on what angle you view the picture from. I guess it does show that things are not always as they seem. The artist may seem to be trying to show one thing, but upon further analysis, the viewer might be able to discover the artist’s true motive for creating the image. Good find, Teresa!