Nighthawks

While walking to Baruch one morning, I saw this on the side of the Flatiron. I instantly recognized it as the first painting my art history professor gave us a lecture about. The painting features three people sitting at a café. One person is sitting apart from the others, completely engrossed in thought. The other two, a man and a woman, are sitting together but do not appear to be speaking to one another. My professor mentioned the painting was meant to depict loneliness. However, my professor did not mention to us that this was on the side of the Flatiron, a place that is usually busy and full of life. Why, then, is a painting depicting loneliness right in the heart of the city? Personally, I feel that it was put there to show that everything is not as it seems. People could be happy and full of life around other people but inside, they might be alone. Or maybe it is because of dimensions and overall shape of the flatiron mimic the shape of the diner in the painting. Or maybe simply because it is such a famous painting.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Sorry if it’s not clear. I tried to get the photo as best as I could!

2013-09-19 09.03.40

One thought on “Nighthawks

1. Teresa Lo

Hey Lisa,

Amazing insight! I didn’t even know this was on the side of the Flatiron building! Good eye! I think we tend to overlook the loneliness other people might feel. That’s why very few people might recognize or see this painting. New Yorkers, especially, tend to always be in a rush and overlook things. Nice job!