Yield In the Name of Creativity

I was taking the bus to the mall and saw this mural located on the side of The High School of Arts and Business. The mural caught my eye because it was very colorful and I couldn’t help wondering who made this mural and why it was on the side of the school. I went home and did some research and found that it was called “Yield in the Name of Creativity.” There’s a lot going on in the picture, which was why I was curious as to what the meaning behind this mural was. In the background is the skyline of NYC and a few roads, so I knew this had to involve something with NYC. There were also books, instruments (such as a piano and brass instrument), and objects that looked like they were works of arts. This made sense to me, since this school was focused on arts and business. There is also a girl holding a “Slow” red sign and a boy holding a “Yield” sign. From my research, I found that this mural was to promote the “importance of livable streets and the multiple roads leading to success for New York City youth.” They also wanted to promote safety and make people aware of the reckless driving that had been happening a lot at the intersection near the school. What I found the most interesting was the man with the head of television. The television seems to be showing a graph and I believe he represents business. In his hands is a magnet, which seems to attract all the other objects in the picture. I think what this is trying to convey is that business leads to success, which is represented by all the other objects in the mural. Mural