The Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy

When Hurricane Sandy came through New York City last year, it left a path of destruction.  Many houses were destroyed and lives changed.  At the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, many trees that stood for over 100 years were lost to the storm, all of which were botanically and historically significant. This tree house, pictured above is the work of Roderick Wolgamott-Romero along with the arborists at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden as they repurposed the many fallen oak trees that were lost to Sandy.  I think this tree house is an amazing work of art that really has a “life after death” feeling to it as they repurpose the the trees.   Along with learning to adapt to the increasing shifts in weather patterns what do you think are some ways we can help better the environment from our homes in New York City?

One thought on “The Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy

1. Lisa Puran

This is a very interesting post! Hurricane Sandy definitely was one of the city’s biggest natural disasters, if not the most destructive. Even though I was fortunate enough to not be affected by Sandy, I cannot count the friends and teachers I knew who lost their homes. My high school chorus teacher for instant lived in Breezy Point and lost his house to the huge fire that raged through there. I agree with your point, Nicholas. It does give that “life after death” feel, especially with the stairs on the right side that seem to lead to nowhere, just the leftover debris from the treehouse. Despite everything that happened, NYC, and the other states affected, have come out stronger. Good find!