MET

Perhaps it was the lighting or perhaps it was the lack of foot traffic in this particular area of the museum but this group of stained windows stuck out beautifully to me.

This group of windows was Louis C. Tiffany’s creation. The middle window was the view of Oyster Bay from his country estate, Laurelton Hall. It bears an almost identical view from the house. The two panels surrounding the view are of grapevines. Almost three-dimensional, these grapevines contain hues of a variety of green but at a close vantage point, you could also see the blue, purple, and even pink. In the late 1870s, Tiffany was the one who introduced innovative techniques into stained glass. I’ve always admired stained glass that I frequently saw in churches. If the light hits the glass at just the right angle, the piece of art can be magical.

Of all the times I’ve been to the MET, one thing that never changes is the Sackler Wing.

This wing houses the Temple of Dendur, constructed by an Egyptian Emperor around 15 B.C.E. This is a constant fixture in the MET, perhaps because it would be very difficult to do away with, but also because it is an iconic presence. This temple was a gift from the Egyptian government itself in commemoration for the United States’ assistance in saving various Egyptian monuments during the construction of the Aswan Dam. It showcases Isis, Osiris, their son Horus, and the other deities in Egyptian culture and also carvings of papyrus and lotus plants to the Nile god Hapy.

The Sackler Wing is a common place for entertainment for profit and nonprofit companies. It hosues half a thousand guests for dinner and dancing. I can only imagine how breathtaking the temple would be at night with glorious lights and decorations.

2 thoughts on “MET

1. Michele Bradley

I didn’t get to see the Louis C. Tiffany piece you mentioned, but I also find it quite beautiful. Seems like looking at a flashback into his view, or a high-end photograph of Oyster Bay. The fact that it’s painted on a window with a three dimensional quality, gives the illusion that I’m looking outside and I’m not in the middle of New York City.

2. semona

Where are those windows located? They look so beautiful. It reminds me of those stained glass windows that they recently put in some train stations. Maybe NYC is trying to emulate the artistic subway art of the metro in other countries?