The Journey to Balthus

The best part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art is having to walk past multiple exhibits just to reach the one you are looking for. While you’re in the same room as the art, you can’t help but to spend a couple minutes to see what the exhibit has to offer. During our unexpected trip to the Met last week, my group and I decided to see the Balthus exhibit called, “Cats and Girls—Paintings and Provocations.” However, because of a few wrong turns and having very little idea of where we were going (and the exhibit was far), we ended up passing through many other exhibits and seeing many different forms of art. 

Egyptian art was on of the most fascinating. We saw more than just the, hopefully empty, sarcophaguses and vessels of the deceased. We went around and visited the Temple of Dendur. The site is beautiful and the structure is amazing to look at. Of course, one of the first things we asked was, “how did it get there?” It doesn’t fit on a plane or boat very well. We then realized it was taken apart and brought over. Then it was reassembled. Since we were lucky enough to have Professor Eversley with us, we learned something else that was very interesting. It always occurred to me as odd that such an old structure could be in such perfect shape and stand, but we were told it was probably found in pieces. So how does it attach together so purposely? Artificial parts are used to help the structure come together and show what it might have looked like. If you look closely, you can differentiate the artificial bricks from the real ones. I would have never guessed it was so obvious. Another interesting thing you will observe by looking closely is the hieroglyphic writing carved out of the bricks. One section looked especially familiar to me, and might to you as well. There is a picture of two kings (Pharaohs) in front of each other. By looking at the hats, we know one is from the north and one is from the south. What it actually means is a mystery to me, but seeing such an important script is certainly an unique experience. Just thinking that the Egyptians were capable of building this sort of structure, with so much detail, with the tools and technology they had available to them is still unbelievable to think about.

The two pharaohs

The two pharaohs

Many pieces of American art was great to look at but one piece really caught my eye this time. Remember the giant George Washington photo we saw at the Brooklyn Museum? It was here too, front and center. As we walk towards the room, you can see it through several entrances away. The painting was larger than I remembered and I thought it was strange for it to be at two different locations. Turns out this is just a copy. Nonetheless, the art was interesting and it was fun to see this well-known painting again (and interesting to learn it’s not the real one).

Before stepping into the Balthus exhibit, I also saw several paintings by Picasso. Out of all things that stood out was learning about the Blue period. Yes, these paintings were quite blue. It might have been that blue was the cheapest paint at the time and that’s all he could afford. However, it is also likely that he was more depressed at this time. The paintings do seem to reflect depression and sadness or at least nothing happy or joyful. The blue seems to make everything gloomy.

Now the Balthus exhibit was surprising even though it shouldn’t have been. It was indeed an exhibit with paintings of cats and girls. The work was interesting and a little strange. Many paintings showed a young girl, his neighbor. They were suggestive and we can see many aspects we learned of in class. Remember what a cat can mean in a painting? Oh yeah there was a girl next to that cat. An interesting part of this exhibit is in one of the rooms, similar paintings with facing each other on opposite walls. I took me a while to realize I wasn’t just seeing things. In another painting, there was his neighbor, holding a mirror and a man in the back (pictured below). At first glimpse this may seem like another painting that’s suggestive, and it is! However (thanks to Prof Eversley), an interesting fact. That man you see, according to the girl, wasn’t there. He was just added in. It really makes you think about how artists think of how the artist’s mind works and why they do what they do.

Can you imagine if the man in the back was not there?

Despite having been to the Met multiple times, this trip was the most interesting and the only time I noticed small details in the art. I learned more than I ever did at a museum just by stopping and observing. Special thanks to Eversley for sharing her knowledge!

One thought on “The Journey to Balthus

1. semona

The “Cats and Girls Exhibit” is very interesting and has a slightly disturbing undertone to it. This girl looks way too young to have such a seductive stance. She’s looking at herself in the mirror showing her narcissistic quality and the man is tending to the fireplace. Having the man put into this picture makes it more suggestive that somethings going on between them.