Food, Self, and Society

the college dillema
April 21, 2010, 6:22 pm
Filed under: Ivan | Tags:

I will keep it short and sweet this week. I really want to raise the issue of campus food, and why it is so unhealthy. I think it has a lot to do with the University’s budget. For example, Lehman College doesn’t not have a big budget right now, and that can be easily seen when you enter the cafeteria. There is nothing but fast food there, with a small salad bar in the Blimpie station. I really think that colleges should try harder to make the food that the students are eating more enjoyable and healthy. The patties at the burger station resemble the frozen ones that we saw in Fast Food Nation, which is not surprising. A week ago I went to visit some friends up at Wesleyan University, and I wasn’t surprised to see how much better their food was. Why wouldn’t it be when tuition there is 52,000 a year. That money has to be going somewhere, right? I hope I’m not asking for too much, but it would be nice to walk into the Lehman Cafeteria and be able to choose forma wider variety of foods, instead having to see the same burger and pizza stand every single day. Anyway, the moral of today’s rambling is more money for college equals better food for college.

Comments Off on the college dillema