Food, Self, and Society

Mind Your Eating
May 10, 2010, 12:32 pm
Filed under: Priscilla | Tags:

This past weekend I went back home for Mother’s Day. After a lot of laughing, eating and celebrating with my whole extended family I settled down on Sunday night to read April’s Vogue. It seemed a decent chunk of the magazine was dedicated to eating, dieting and food in general. One article caught my attention as it was about “mindful” eating.

The article explained how people who practiced yoga tended to weigh less than those who didn’t regardless of what they ate for the simple reason that they were more aware of their bodies and by extension what they put inside of them. The author of the article actually hired someone to teach her how to eat mindfully (American paradox anyone?) and the basic message was pretty simple; take your time to chew and reflect on your food. After all, it takes about 20 minutes for your body to register you’re full and meanwhile most people- and I am one of them- typically eat a meal in half that time. On that note, we could all save ourselves some money on a personal food guru by simply thinking in between mouthfuls.

Comments Off on Mind Your Eating