“Avenue Q”

On Sunday, November 3rd, our seminar class went to see the Tony-Award winning musical, “Avenue Q.” This show was an off-Broadway production and it took place at New World Theatre on 50th Street. This show was absolutely hysterical and it was the most enjoyable Broadway show that I have ever seen (besides “The Producers,” which is my absolute all-time favorite show). When I walked into the theater, I was surprised by the size of the theatre, thinking it would be much bigger, but, considering its an off-Broadway show, now I understand the concept behind a smaller theater. The show’s cast was very small, only consisting of nine people in the entire cast. The most impressive aspect of the show is the use of puppets in the show and being able to see the puppeteers as they are singing as the characters that they are playing. The actors are all very talented and they had beautiful voices. an interesting aspect of this type of acting is that the puppeteers would make facial expressions and actions that were reflective of the characters and it showed that they were into the role that they were playing and were trying to express that in any way that they could. The music that was in the show was awesome. The songs were raunchy and racy, and thats what I loved about it. The crude humor made it funny and the fact that they were singing and using such foul language made it even funnier. The plot of the play also kept me intrigued because even though the characters were puppets, they were trying to portray a real-life situation of kids just getting out of college and trying to find their purpose in life and what they are supposed to be doing with their life. The play connected to me because I continually think what life is going to be like after college and what my plans in life will be after I graduate college. What am I going to do? Where am I going to end up? All that good stuff. While the play was funny and entertaining, it connected to everybody on a real level and there was an actual lesson to be learned from it. The lesson I learned was that live for the present and worry about the future when it gets here. The best part of the day was the fact that we got to meet the cast of the show and we got to have a conversation with them. We got to ask them questions about being on Broadway, and what its like to be an artist in New York. They were very responsive to our questions and they even talked to us about being artists in New York City. They said that you can make it in the art industry, but, you have to work really hard. Its going to be tough and its going to be a struggle, but, when you get to the top, it feels wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed this performance and the life-lesson that it taught me. I thank the cast for talking to us and I thank Lisa for taking us to see this wonderfully entertaining show.

Image-AvenueQlogo