Stepz

On Saturday, November 2nd, our seminar class went to see “Stepz,” a show that took place at Brooklyn College. Given the name of the show, I assumed that this show would be dance related. And usually when its an arts class, its typically ballet or some other form of classical dancing. So, my hopes going into this show were low, and I was hoping it would not be boring. But, this show was so far from being even close to boring. The show was choreographed by Savion Glover and featured Marshall Davis Jr., Robyn Watson, Ayodele Casel, and Sarah Savelli. These five dancers were absolutely fantastic. Their feet were so quick and their beat was on point. One thing I noticed about the dancing was that the dances were choreographed around the main melody of the piece they were dancing to. With all the jazz pieces, they cut to an improvisation part where there would normally be a instrumental improvisation, but, in its place there is a dance improvisation. This was something I thought to be really creative and it definitely gave a different feel to the jazz music playing in the background. The most impressive thing about the performance was when Savion Glover and Marshall Davis Jr. were having a “dance war” with no music in the background. They were trying to outperform each other and their moves were the music to the dance. They created a melody with their dancing and it was almost to a point of where you could hear notes being played, but, it was just the tapping of the shoes going on. As they were dancing though, they took it up another notch and started dancing on a flight of steps and this displayed their coordination and their feel for the beat. They could go from different steps and not miss the beat, which I found to be absolutely amazing. One thing about the entire performance that I liked was how they would produce different sounds with their feet based on where they stood on the floor that they were dancing on. There was not one monotone sound coming out of the tapping, but, there were different sounds and it made the performance more entertaining, and it gave the performance more character and more of a feel. The music that they danced to was also contemporary music. There was a lot of jazz music and there was also music by Stevie Wonder, which closed the show. So, along with the different sounds of the tapping, and the contemporary music that they danced to, this whole performance was fun and enjoyable and I hope there are more performances like this that we can see during the future.

tap_shoes