Stepz

savion

Saturday night our Seminar class attended the show Stepz. Prior to Saturday, I researched the show.  I was excited to read that the show was a tap dance performance and I was even more thrilled to see the star would be Savion Glover.  Every week my family and I watch the CBS Sunday Morning show featuring different segments on events and people around the world.  One Sunday morning a few years ago, there was a segment on Savion Glover.  I remember being amazed at his talent and his ability to convey his ideas, emotions, and feelings through dance.  During this segment, I also learned that Savion Glover did the tap dances for the character Mumble in Happy Feet. From all this prior knowledge, I was thrilled to go see Stepz.

After the long and dull geology trip on Saturday, I was eager to get to Brooklyn College.  From the moment the curtains opened to the second they closed, my eyes were peeled on the performers.  I must admit, my inner child was astonished that I was looking at the man who was Mumble.  Glover and his cast were brilliant and somewhat hypnotizing; I could not look away from the performers.  I took tap dance lessons throughout my childhood and I was always taught that even if there are ten tap dancers on the stage, if you closed your eyes, it should sound like one dancer.  When all of the performers were doing a number in sequence, I closed my eyes and it did in fact sound like one pair of feet.  After each dance number I thought, “There is no way the next number can top that one!” I enjoyed how each performer’s personality was displayed in their solo pieces.  My favorite parts of the performance were when Savion Glover and the other male performer danced on the stairs.  The two men used technique while gliding up and down the stairs to produce a magnificent number.  Another number that baffled me was when all of the performers were on stage and you heard tapping, but no one seemed to be tapping.  My ears were telling me someone was tap dancing but my eyes disagreed.  It was only after I leaned forward in my chair and squinted at the stage for a few minutes that I realized Glover was tapping.  I think my jaw actually dropped.  I could not believe how fast Glover was moving his feet and how subtly his feet were moving. The scenery throughout the show remained a simple brick wall and the performers wore simple clothing.  This proved that the show truly focused on the art of dance itself, without adding extravagant costumes or sets.  The upbeat ending of the performance suited the show well and left the audience with smiles on their faces.

After watching the performance, I realized how much work and dedication it must have took to get Glover and his accompaniments on that stage.  It was inspirational.  The show conveyed a message that if you are passionate about something, dedicate yourself to it and fulfill your dream.