Mohammad’s Radio

The performance of Mohammad’s Radio was a very interesting experience that brought the play into a different light. Seeing actors read lines with emotion and movement was incredibly powerful. The play explored concepts that exist today in by using Gerritsen Beach as a microcosm of the society in general. It dealt with issues of race and gender in ways that were shocking yet relevant in the modern day. However, one of the questions I had while watching the performance was would this play transfer well to represent the same problems in a different community? Gerritsen Beach has many idiosyncrasies that can only be attributed to that particular area. The play did a great job at exposing them and using it to the advantage to prove the point. But I am not sure if some parts of the play would be received well by a different audience.

Another thing I noted during the reading was the choice of actors. While reading the play I imagined a very different cast. I pictured the characters to be a lot more “commercial,” like people I would expect to play them in this story if it was a movie. This was in part due to my own influence of media and evaluating things in terms of images and stereotypes perpetrated by the popular culture. It was interesting to realize that this is a very different art form with different motivating factors for casting and representation. Unlike other media, the characters in a theater production reflect a better picture of real everyday people involved in the story. The experience of watching the play performed was very different from reading it and I enjoyed it a lot.