Mohammed’s Radio

Upon reading Mohammed’s Radio, I was upset by Kelly’s circumstance and was angered by the ending. Unfortunately, this type of racism and issues of male dominance exist in the world. The play served its purpose in pointing out these flaws in society. I was eager to see the performance and meet the playwright. I had never been to a reading before and was interested to see how it assisted in the writing process. I was even more interested in seeing how the actors handled such a reading. I was impressed how emotionally powerful their performances were even without any movement. It allowed the script to speak for itself, which is essentially the purpose of a reading. However, while much emotion was present, eliminating movement lost some of the intensity. Many of the characters, especially Terry, seem to have intense physicality. Certain scenes call for it as well. There are numerous fight scenes, a rape scene, and a murder scene; all are full of powerful and devastating physical movements. It would have been amazing to see Mohammed’s Radio as a finished product. The reading was a new and enriching experience on its own. The crude language did not particularly offend me, but rather I was offended by the attitudes the men had toward women. I hate that the men seemed to base their own status and worth on their sexual experiences. They discussed encounters with Alice as if it gave them a sense of self. All human beings, male or female, should look to themselves and those they love for validation, not to their sexual experiences or dominance over a female. If they did not enforce their power over women and make woman subservient, they felt threatened as a man. Their territorial and superior attitude was animalistic. The play’s ending was impactful and had a lasting affect on me. Stephen Garcia is a talented writer with a gift for portraying the ugly truth of society.