Mohammad’s Radio

radio

Reading and seeing Mohammad’s Radio were two different experiences for me.  When I first saw the actors, most of them did not appear as I had imagined while reading the play.  However, as the play progressed, I was pleased with the cast and I saw how each actor fit its character.  The emotion that the actors brought into their performance made the storyline more engaging and powerful.  I loved the themes and messages presented in the play, since many of them are relatable. My classmates and I are Kelly’s age and are going through similar issues of freedom; we can connect to her struggles.  It made the conflicts and its themes seem more real.  After hearing what the playwright had to say, I realized that each character in the play is vital to the themes of religion, gender equality, freedom, and acceptance, and the implementation of these themes.  Each character represents a different aspect of the society and either confirm or contradict Kelly and her cause.  For example, Joe represents innocence and a contrast to the corrupt people and views in Gerritsen Beach and Jen represents the safer route that Kelly could have taken to escape Gerritsen Beach.  This made me truly think about the conscience decisions that are behind every character, every scene, and every line. Overall, I enjoyed reading the play but i also appreciated seeing Mohammad’s Radio because it gave me a different perspective on the play.