Tosca

Tosca

The Tosca performance was fantastic. Theres something about performance arts that draws me in more than any other form of art. Perhaps it’s the fact that it stimulates multiple senses simultaneously. Maybe that’s part of the reason I enjoyed the play far more when I watched it as opposed to reading it. While reading the play all the characters seemed superficial to me, Floria annoyed the heck out of me, to be quite honest! But somehow the actors took some of the most cheesy lines in the play and turned them into something real and even beautiful.  It’s amazing how much the performance of the play changed my opinion of the play as a whole. This connects back to my definition of a good artist. As I expressed in class last Friday, a good artist is someone who is convincing, and I can wholeheartedly admit that for most of the play, I was pretty convinced; I even empathized with Floria a bunch of times! One of my favorite parts of the performance was when the audience applauded Floria and Scarpia joined in on it to show authority over her as well as the audience itself. I felt that  this was an excellent way to convince the audience that they were part of an experience. I also believe that this may be my answer to the “What is art” question; its something that establishes a connection between itself and the beholder.