Tosca at the Met

From the moment I found out our class was to attend the opera I couldn’t wait! I had seen a dress rehearsal of Giuseppe Verdi’s Falstaff at Hunter College with the Summer Arts Institute in 2011. I admire the vocal ability and technique of opera singers more than any other genre. The discipline, talent, and dedication shown by the performers are something I will never forget. I could not wait to see the highest caliber performance at the Met. I had heard how beautiful the Metropolitan Opera was as well and wanted to see the opera house for myself.
The Met’s production of Tosca exceeded my expectations. Sondra Radvanosky’s performance in the title role of Tosca was astonishing. She sang effortlessly, as if singing came as easily to her as breathing. Her performance of “Vissi d’arte” in the second act almost brought tears to my eyes. I honestly could not divert my eyes from her as she sang. Everything from her range, her vibrato, her dynamics and her acting ability were displayed in this heartbreaking performance. The four minutes in which Radvanosky sang this song were by far my favorite moments of the show.
When I read La Tosca, I pictured the character of Tosca as a very young, frivolous, naïve girl. However, Radvanosky personified Tosca as a rather holistic, passionate woman occasionally plagued with envy and insecurity. I was pleasantly surprised by the depiction of Tosca at the Met.
The visual interior of the Met was just as impressive as the performance itself. The opera house was elegant and grand to say the least. The sets and stage were surprisingly tall. I loved the translations on the back of the seats and how the screens were only visible if you were seeing them straight on; this way, the screens around you were not a distraction at all. Each detail at the Met seemed to be well thought out. The other audience members appeared to be either from foreign countries or of the wealthy class. They all had accents and mink coats that made me feel utterly unsophisticated in comparison.
I greatly enjoyed my trip to the Met and hope to go again in the future, so I can be witness to the breathtaking talent (and level of sophistication) I experienced with Tosca!tosca