In The Red and Brown Water

The PCA Drama Program presentation of In The Red and Brown Water by Tarell Alvin McCraney was phenomenal. I was surprised by just how good the actors were. The way they fluently spoke their lines and with such flare was laudable. It also made me reminisce of how I screwed up my lines during the final play presentation. The ability to recall, retrieve and orate at the same time is a very nice skill to have.

My favorite part of the play was the ending, when the actor playing Oya, the main character, expresses a passionate, but naked pot of emotion. The actor playing her really chilled my spine with how she stressed her voice like she was in despair. It was a similar feeling that the prima donna had on me when we went to see La Bohème.

Everyone on stage, including: the Director: Prof. Maurya Wickstrok, the helpers backstage, and the people controlling the lights, they really put on a great show. It made me realize that a play is as great as the sum of its parts, and everyone contributed in a significant way that made this experience perfect. Sure you can have one actor thats really just phenomenal and steals the show, but if you have several bold actors that exhibit a natural raw talent for this sort of stuff, you’ve really got something nice.

Published by

Yoseph Ahmed

Mac. Class of 2021