European Assimilation and Its Effects on the Culture of Mexico as Explored Through Literature

Photo: Library of Congress

The purpose of this site is to explore the evolution of the Mexican culture through the lens of different writers. The first section, ‘Precolonial Mesoamerica’ will focus on pre-columbian Mesoamerica. Here you can explore the Spanish influence on the Nahuatl language. This section also focuses on the style and context of Aztec poetry. The next section ‘New Spain’ will explore the baptism of cultures through the play Los Moros y Cristianos and the life and writings of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, a feminist before her time. The third section will focus on the people of Mexico as described by Octavio Paz in “The Labyrinth of Solitude”. The fourth and final section will explore the Chicano movement that developed in the late twentieth century in the United States.

Table of Contents

I. Precolonial Mesoamerica

II. New Spain

III. Octavio Paz

IV. The Chicano Movement

V. Works Cited

One comment for this page

• Joey,

I apologize for not being in class, but here are my comments, questions and concerns about your website.

Like your presentation, I did enjoy the continuum that you established with the evolution of writing in Mexican Culture. The method by which you infuse the discussion of cultural differences between the Spanish settlers and the indigenous peoples of Hueyapan is also notable. I believe that this discussion is extremely important in discussing the impact and change it has on Mexican literature.

What I do want to know is, what elements of the Nahuatl language survive in current movements, such as the Altruista movement? And you brought up the writings of Sor Juana Inez de la Cruz. Does she also have an impact on the current inception of Mexican-American literature today (Is there a strong feminist movement borne of her writings)?

I hope that if you do choose to expand your website, that an awesome interactive timeline could be created, but if not, I completely understand. (This is my only suggestion).

Aside from that, I think it’s a job well done!

-Kwame