Diagnosis: Battered but Vibrant || Response

In the New York Times article, “Diagnosis: Battered but Vibrant” by Benedict Carey, a neighborhood along Chicago’s South Side is discussed to explain how factors play major roles to shape a community. Carey talks about Chatham, a neighborhood once known to be a treasure and great for living. However, things changed in recent years. Chatham was scattered with foreclosed homes and the crime rate was rising. This was a result of changing attitudes and behaviors by residents. Nonetheless, one statement I found particularly interesting was that a “neighborhood’s character shapes its economic future at least as much as more obvious factors like income levels and foreclosure rates.”

I agree with Carey that a neighborhood is shaped by the attitudes of its residents. If ill-behaved teenagers loitered around the city, one would certainly see the correlation between behaviors and crime rates. Manners and respect for people and their community would disappear. With these characteristics, a neighborhood develops a bad reputation which would taint its image and prevent potential home buyers from making their purchase. Those who already reside in the changing region would also consider moving out.

I also agree that a neighborhood’s character relates to its economy. As a New Yorker, I have observed various different communities. From Jackson Heights, Queens to Chinatown, Manhattan, lower to middle class residents work around the clock to keep their local economy thriving. Main streets are usually busy with markets, grocery stores and restaurants. In some instances, communities such as these seem economically self-sustainable.

On the other end, wealthy communities such as Manhasset in Long Island and the Upper East Side in Manhattan are less busy and more peaceful. Residents of these neighborhoods are surrounded by luxury stores, restaurants and boutiques. Sidewalks are clean and wide. Homes are less likely to be foreclosed.

Another point I found interesting was how uniformly small buildings in a neighborhood can create an “ecological advantage”. Carey states that small residences such as one family homes can be very beneficial to the upkeep of communities. Neighbors would more likely approach each other if they find something wrong, such as garbage on one’s lawn. As a New Yorker living in Queens my entire life, I find that hard to imagine because there are very little bungalows or one family residences. Block neighborhoods are no where to be found. People in New York are known to keep to themselves, even if they live next door to each other in an apartment. Nonetheless, it would be nice to see that type of ideal community.