The Great Migration

The first thing I noticed when reading Isabel Wilkerson’s is that I liked the writing style. I don’t usually enjoy reading writings in an interview method because it reminds me of anthropology class and it bores me in general. But, I feel in this case I feel that I enjoyed reading it because I found it relatable.

Now to be more specific I don’t find it relatable because my family was involved in The Great Migration. In fact the reason I find it so relatable is because my family was not near this country my family was doing its own migration. I come from all sides of the world and my family constantly moved from country to country and I pretty much have a heritage from every continent and relatives alive in every continent.

However, I can’t compare the experience of my family to the experience of the families in The Great Migration. I mean some of my ancestors moved around because of persecution but regardless of this fact no persecution is ever the same. I mean some of the persecution they were experiencing such as Jim Crowe laws were out of this world, in fact it seems so out of this world as if it’s not possible.

Furthermore in the very beginning the quote by ‘The colored Woman in Alabama’ she says that even in the church or at home, no matter where they are they are discussing whether or not to escape. They are even discussing how to escape; should they go all at once or one at a time. In all honesty it sounds like a weird discussion to be having in the land of the free and the home of the brave. I just feel like nowadays these types of discussions don’t happen in the US.

In my opinion, the reason books like these are so successful is because of a sort of masochist aspect that people have. I’m not saying people are crazy and like to see others suffer, but there is a certain reason books like these are so successful. I mean look at Eli Wiesel he wrote books about  the holocaust and became an incredible writer. On the other hand it might just be that people can’t believe such horrors occured and they read it as a form of sick novel or they might read it as an impartial way to view history and how society has improved. Personally, I prefer that it’s the last reason and that people just want to see how we improved on ourselves and to never revert to a society where discrimination and hate is allowed.